1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T how to remove decal from car

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey does anybody out there know how to take off the sticky part of a car dealers decal? I have most of it off but there is still some there. What can I use? I do not want to hurt the cars paint. Any help is appreciated.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There is an adhesive remover that I use, BUT I wait until the surface is quite warm, and then hit it with my high pressure washer. That peels them off in a heart beat. I clean it up with the remover, or you can use lighter fluid.

WW

3. T/C

T/C TS Member

WD-40 on a rag,then wash with soap and water,then wax. WD won't hurt the paint or clear coat but removes sticky glue substances like nothing else. Change to a clean rag often.

4. welderman

welderman TS Member

I've been told that a hair dryer is the way to go. Tom S.(welderman)

5. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Heat guns work great for removing decals, often you can remove them without leaving any glue behind. But if you've already tried pulling it off and have a mess, a heat gun wont do you much good.

One of the citrus solvents like "Goo-Gone" may work well. Try it someplace out of sight first though, just in case. cls

6. JRD

JRD TS Member

WD-40, or the hair dryer both work well.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

if the above does not work, go to a body shop and they have an eraser on an air tool that will

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Use a raze blade first and get as much as you can off then use lighter fluid on a rag will do the rest.

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Take it to the dealer who put it on and politely ask them to remove their #@%$&(( sticker from YOUR car! Pretty Please or let me see the manager. Ed

10. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i soak a rag w/ wd40 and let it soak and as mentioned above use a hair dryer i used a commercial heat gun but be careful as these things get reeeaaaallll hot it should start to bubble and can be pulled away but be careful not to get it too hot or hurt yourself steve

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

WD-40 or GOO-GONE.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I've used a propane torch. Keep it moving.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've told dealers up front that my fee for advertising their business WILL be $50 a month; either no stickers or chrome do dads or they're agreeing to pay. I put it in the contract. I've also had salesmen on their backs removing the stickers themselves.....Bob Dodd

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If it's a base coat/ clear coat finish, paint thinner will remove the glue without a problem. The paint and clear coat has been baked on so you don't have to worry about removing any paint under the glue. If the decal has been on for a long time the paint under it might be shinier then the rest of the panel. You will then have to buff the panel and then it gets into adjoining panels and the next thing you know you have detailed your car.

Jerbear

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here ya go Biff...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

16. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

I work at a Chevy dealership. They remove all kinds of add on decals. Stop by and ask your dealer how they do it. They may even do it for you.

17. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

(goof off) ya buy it at lows of home depot. itl take brown stains outa your shorts even.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Try a product called Goo be gone

19. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get Goof Off. Excellent and won't harm car paint finsihe. Great to have around the house. Also, lyou can use acetone. Many pins trippers use it beore they do a car to remove any wax etc. or old striping.

20. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I use a wire brush first, if that doesn't work then I use a grinder.

Hope this helps

Hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.