1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T How to check for 220 voltage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm having a brain fart and can't remember how to check for 220 volts. My friends deep well pump quit and I was going to check it for him but get 120 volts on each leg, but how do you check for cumulative voltage. Yes, I do have a multi meter and it is set for 220 or higher. He had a problem with the circuit breaker triping so replaced the circuit breaker but his pump was still not working. Thank you for your response. Jackie B.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Not an electrician, but each feed wire to ground should read about 120. across both feeder wires you should get 220.

3. MLKX5

MLKX5 TS Member

Check between both hot legs with your multimeter. One test lead on each one of the hot leads, and you should have 220 volts.

Mike

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The above posters have it right. If it is tripping the breaker, you probably have a bad pump. You can check for shorts by turning OFF the breaker, turning your meter to ohms X1 setting and measure from one hot leg to another. You should be able to measure some resistance. If it shows infinity, you have an open winding or a wire burned off somewhere. Measure from one hot leg to ground. and then the other. If you have zero ohms to ground it is probably a shorted pump motor. Good Luck

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I would start at the breaker checking for proper voltage then follow to the pressure switch then out to the motor I think 197 volts would be the minium voltage that the motor would operate at.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for your responses. I checked at the breaker and had 220 across the two legs but not at the well so I'm assuming it has a broken wire underground? It does read 120 on each hot leg with a probe touching ground but nothing across the two hot legs. Jackie B.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Another thing to check is if the pump has a external control box where the capacitor could go bad. I have this setup. last month a friend I shoot with had this problem and it was repaired with a new capacitor.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

And all this time I just went by how many hairs stood up on my head

9. twopipe

twopipe Member

120 to ground on each phase, and then nothing between them usually indicates that the 2 conductors are on the same phase. Is this an FPE panel ? it is possible to put a double pole breaker on the same phase x 2, instead of across 220 on some FPE panels

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Calvin, That is one of the best laughs in a long time. Obviously you're feeling better. Best wishes, Bob LMBO

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You have hair? Lucky!

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I hope you have a good ohm meter.

*POOF*

HM

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If one of the conductors is broken under ground you will still read 120 on both legs, but not 240 between them, the electricity is going to the pump and back out, but since one wire is broken you don't have a path for current flow, so nothing happens

Now you just need to find out where the wire is broken under gound

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Check connections at the pressure switch and the pump. Could the pressure switch be bad, causing this?

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob ; ))
    calvinmd_2008_03032.jpg

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The pressure switch is made according to his readings, or he would read voltage on only one leg

And by the way if he has an FPE, Federal Pacific Electric panel do yourself a favor and replace it before it burns down the building it is in, they were notorius for causeing fires

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.