1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T How to avoid being shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

How To Avoid Being Shot By The Police

We feel sorry for the victims' families as we see their grief. Often, they think officers should have used more restraint. We also feel bad for the police officers and their families, who are traumatized as well. These shootings are a tragedy for all involved.

Therefore, a five-point plan to help citizens avoid being shot by a cop has been devised. Admittedly, this plan won't prevent all shootings. A very few fall outside these parameters. But I'd guess we could prevent 99.99% of them if everyone followed this plan.

So here are the rules:

1. Don't commit a crime. It seems rather elementary, Sherlock, that crime is a high-risk occupation/recreational pursuit, but that seems to escape some folks. They do a crime, get shot and wonder how this could possibly happen. So don't beat your spouse. Don't rip off a convenience store. Don't do a drive-by shooting. Don't get spaced out on drugs. Don't sell drugs. Don't do a hit and run. Don't get drunk and go for a spin in your car. Don't get in a fight. In case you've missed it, crime makes cops think you're not such a good person. Society expects cops to go after you, with loaded guns!!!

2. If you ignore rule No. 1 and they find you, don't try to flee. This just makes them think you're even a badder guy. Don't try to escape. Don't run red lights or ignore stop signs. Don't race through residential neighborhoods where children are playing or speed down crowded freeways. Don't sneak into some innocent person's home or backyard. Don't hide in the bushes or in a closet or under the back porch. Makes cops think you're up to no good.
    If you disregard rules 1 and 2, and they still catch up to you, don't disobey a cop's orders. Do exactly as he or she says. Don't make fast movements with your hands. Don't reach under your seat. Don't go for your coat pocket. Don't grab a shiny beer can or a tire iron or, for heck's sake, a toy gun. Do exactly what you're told. To do otherwise makes cops really edgy.

3. If you're boneheaded enough to disregard rules 1, 2 and 3 and you're still alive and somehow manage to get a gun or knife in your hand, don't point the gun at anyone. Don't act aggressively. Don't wave the knife around. Don't lunge at an officer. Don't shout that you want to die and you're going to take a few cops with you. This really gets them riled up.

4. If you've disobeyed rules 1, 2, 3 and 4, and amazingly, you're still breathing, don't expect your friendly neighborhood cop to be an instant psychiatrist. Don't expect him or her to understand that you're basically a nice person who's had a really bad day and this is just your way of crying out for help. Don't expect a cop to feel sorry that your wife left you, your dog growled at you and you're tired of the lousy weather. Don't expect him or her to empathize with your bad childhood or that society has done you a raw deal.

5. If you get to rule No. 4 and you violate it, you won't have time to think about rule No. 5, because you'll be dead or seriously injured. So think about it in advance. Cops aren't psychiatrists. We can't expect them to analyze a fleeing, gun-wielding criminal and conclude he's really just a lost soul trying to communicate his angst to the world. We expect them to react to an immediate threat and not worry about what's going on inside a person's head.

Most shootings do follow, at least roughly, some part of the pattern described above. So I have a hard time criticizing an officer who must make a split-second decision in a terribly dangerous situation. Even if the officer makes a mistake, even if the person didn't really have a weapon, even if the person isn't a hardened criminal but a petty teenage thief, I can't fault the officer. It's pretty simple. If you don't want to get shot by a cop, don't commit a crime. Don't run. Don't disobey. If you do those things and you end up with a bullet hole, whose fault is it? If we take crime seriously, cops have to play for keeps. Personally, I'm awfully glad the police officers are out there going after the bad guys.

"Please note, I did not check with SNOPES to see if this was true. I took a chance and posted it just because. I did not write it, I posted it just because.

OB

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

OB I like it . More dead criminals just less tax money spent .

ALF

3. SBray

SBray Active Member

Cris Rock has similar thoughts for those inclined not to have their thinking caps on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCCjFbFXn8

Steve

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have cowboy cops on the late shift who think their badge is a hunting license.

Several questionable shootings in the last few years.

So I stay home at night.

HM

5. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Who needs to check Snopes on this one? Sounds like good old common sense to me.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No need to check Snopes, the thoughts are as clear as can be stated. The big problem is that criminals seem to view their dealing with the police as some sort of game; fair is fair, right? The simple truth of the matter is sprinkled in #2 and #3 above, there is this. Every citizen detained by the police have the obligation under the law to submit to an arrest should it reach that stage. If the officer is wrong in his action, he'll find out soon enough and may suffer a penalty and if he's right no one's hurt. From the other side, the officer is permitted to use "reasonable force" to affect an arrest and it should be noted that it's not "the minimal amount of force" it's "reasonable force."....do breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

In certain circumstances a sworn officers badge is a hunting license. A license to hunt criminals.

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

yea, like the guy that came out of the strip club in NY after his bachelor party.

How many times did the cops reload to teach that "bad guy" a lesson???

tony

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

enuff?

10. hairy

hairy TS Member

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6elPSimusc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6elPSimusc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

11. hairy

hairy TS Member

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQHzrcFAQ58"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQHzrcFAQ58" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

12. SBray

SBray Active Member

hairy,

That was funny!

Steve

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things.

I train Law Enforcement. Priority One is going to hearth and home to be with family at the end of the shift.

No longer is suicidal sacrifice expected or taught to Law Enforcement.

Heroic action happens a lot in Law Enforcement, but needlessly sacrificing yourself so an offender might live is not in vogue any more.

14. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Also don't hurt with the Vice president, Dick Cheney

15. lurker

lurker TS Member

Me sweet old pappy told me, "nothing good happens after 11:00 P.M. That is why you WILL be home by then". He was correct.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Lurker, my pappy told me to always be in bed by 10, if not may as well go home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.