1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T How long does Gore-Tex last?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by woodie, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodie

woodie TS Member

How long does Gore_tex last? Are the new copies as good or better than Gore-Tex? Are there any ways to stretch it's lifespan? I have an older Cabela's coat that doesn't just leak, it doesn't stop anything, tryed washing it and spraying it, didn't help. Thanks for any answers or ideas.

2. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I have a Cabela's coat for duck hunting. It was purchased around 1980 and is still keeping the water out. Just for curosity I would contact Cabela's and ask them why it is leaking. I thought Gore Tex would stay water "resistant" or "proof" for the life of the coat. Michael

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Well I have a 10 year old Orvis that doesnt work anymore. There is a pile of interior liner material that is lumped up in the bottom of the jacket.

Meanwhile it makes a good towell as it soaks thru

So it will get the boot soon.

4. woodie

woodie TS Member

Wow Fred, that was some usefull information. I use my coat for duck hunting and again I got soaked, when I took it off that was not a dry spot anywhere but maybe it's leaking by the shoulders and working its way down. Maybe seam sealer for tents will work. I hate to toss the coat so seam sealer seems like a good place to start. Thanks for your help, Lee.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fred is dead nuts on about seams needing resealing. BTDT on numerous coats and tents. Even on coats that were 100% storm proof. The material never leaked - but the stitched seams did.<br>
    <br>
    Also, keep in mind that some water proof coats seal moisture IN as well. So the water that's soaking you is actually sweat. That's why I prefer coats with vent zippers under the arms and one across the back.

6. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

My Back Fence coat is 15 years old and still waterproof. It's been washed and drip dried. it's still good. Fast

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I called Gore-Tex awhile ago and they told me to wash my 15 year old coat in any kind of soap and then dry it on the hot (yes that is right hot)setting. The heat restores the Gore-Tex. I know this goes against what many of us have been told. I have been washing my coat in special soap and air drying it for years. One time in the dryier on the hot setting and the coat was like new. Before you start sealing seams or throw your coat out, try it! You can contact Gore-Tex on an 800 number and check it out.

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Some of you guys actually WASH your hunting coats??!!!

I have a couple of Gore-Tex waterfowling coats that are over 10 years old, never washed, and still keep me dry.
    'Course, being that I mostly hunt in SoCal, I haven't experienced more than a light sprinkle in all those years, either.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I guess it depends on the item and the use - not age. Gore-Tex lined boots have a finite life as the material is subject to extremes of chaffing and flexing. I know; I have a couple of pair that have "given up the ghost" after several years of hard use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long does gore tex last

how long does gore-tex last

how long does goretex last

how long does gortex in boots last

how long does gortex last

how long will goretex laat