1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T How do you splice carpet.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I need to splice a piece of carpet and have a carpet heat gun/iron(don't really know what else to call it). What kind of tape do you use? I see all kinds of stuff on the internet but would like some advice from someone with working knowledge. My room was 14x 24 and purchased the carpet to be that size and turned out to be 12 1/2 wide. Fortunately, I had purchased another piece of the same color and length so was able to get enough to finish the room but never put two pieces together like that. Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

PS. This is in my fish camp and hopefully once taped will never be noticed. LOL

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Jack, Carpet is directional...first make Sure Both pieces are going the Same Direction... Carpet tape and or Hot Iron carpet tape glue can be used.
    Over lap both pieces about 4-6"..use straight edge to cut-Thru both pieces at the Same Time...Will be what is called Blind Joint.
    Advised to try a couple cut's on scrapes..get the hag of Cutting Thru Both sections.. Good Luck. Sounds alot Harder than it is. Bart Reynolds

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Make sure your knife is very sharp

4. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

what kind of carpet is it? Is it commercial, a plush, a berber? They all are done differently

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I bet a local carpet installer would do that quick fix for very little money and it would be done right. Then you wouldn't have to worry about buying or renting the specialty tools for one job. I'm a DIYer but there are some jobs just worth paying the Pro's for. Carpet is one of them. A local carpet installer would probably do it for less than you could rent or buy the tools. Cash gets things done right and cheaper.

Just my opinion anyway

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have the tools. All of 20 dollars invested in a kicker and heat iron. Just have to buy the tape but there are so many I wasn't sure what to buy. It's a commercial carpet but is thick but and has like a short shag to it. Jackie B.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The heat tape you need would depend on the backing of the carpet ... Take a small sample to a local carpet dealer and tell them what you want to do and they can advise you on the type of tape to use ... I used to install carpet as a side line when I was on the fire dept and couldn't imagine how many yards of seaming I had to do over the years ... If you just want to have it stay in place the carpet dealer can sell you a piece of the double faced tape they use and it would be a quick fix though not very durable ... If the carpet is or was stretched in your kicker is a waste of time to get it the way it should be depending on how particular you are ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Search tags for this page
how to splice berber carpet
how to splice carpet

when splicing carpet can direction of carpet be turned