1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - How did you quit tobacco products?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I need some help here. I am doing my best to quit snuff. I have the want to, but it has been difficult. What have worked for ya'll to aid in quitting?

Matt

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt:

That's a tough one. I'm no expert but I'll offer a few thoughts for you to consider.

My old family doctor used to say "Cancer cures smoking." I'm sure he'd say the same about snuff. I'm not being a wise guy or anything (I have multiple immediate family members who have had cancer). It's just that once you have a cancer scare, like a tumor, it gets your attention very quickly and the reality of the effects tobacco use clarifies very quickly. My doctor used to say that if people could just see and feel the devastation of what's going to happen to them if they don't stop using tobacco, then 99% of use would stop immediately. He said he wished there was a way for people to have a "It's a Wonderful Life" exerience where they could be diagnosed with cancer, and face death up-close, and then be granted a wish to go back 20 years and have a second chance. He said that if someone invented a way for people to do that, tobacco companies couldn't give their products away.

I have relatives and friends who have successfully quit tobacco products by: 1) Cold Turkey; 2) Nicorette Gum; 3) Prescription drugs made for the purpose; and, surprisingly, 4) Hypnosis. So my advice would be to choose something that YOU and your doctor believe is most likely to work, stick to it, and mentally visualize yourself getting healthier and living longer. That's the positive perspective. If you are not so motivated by the positive aspects of getting healthier and living longer because they are too vague or distant, then try a little negative association -- continuously associate the urge to use tobacco with the almost inevitable disease that it will inflict upon you. Look up some pictures online that you can visualize when you feel the urge -- maybe pictures of mouth or tongue cancer, and be thankful that you still have a chance to avoid it. Seeing my close friend's Mom sitting at her kitchen table still smoking away with an oxygen bottle hanging off her wheelchair, even after she lost one lung and her weight dropped to 68 pounds, is a sad and disgusting sight I will never forget. I remember my friend saying, "We all wanted her to live, and to be with her grandkids, but she gave up her chance and chose smoking instead."

Be strong, Matt, because you are not just breaking a bad habit -- you are battling the life's work some of the best chemists who ever lived, as the tobacco companies spent decades and millions of dollars refining their formulas to be among the most addictive substances on earth. Many people have quit heroin, but could not quit tobacco.

Whatever method you choose, God bless you and your resolve to quit. I wish you luck and good health.

-Gary

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I got away from cigarettes about 15 years ago using the step down nicotene patches. It wasn't easy but alot better than going cold turkey.

I was nicotene free for a couple of years and then started up a snuff habit that is still with me. I think the snuff addiction may even be stronger than the smoking jones.

Your doctor may be able to offer some help with breaking the addiction or at least that would be a good starting point in committing your thought processes. It takes a strong will. Good luck and don't give up if you happen to slip.

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

wolfram,

I agree with you on the snuff being addictive. I smoked for about 7 years. I quit cold turkey, and didn't use tobacco for 3 years. Every morning I would get my cup of coffee and I would think about a smoke. Like a dummy, I picked up the snuff to battle the urge. I quit all this once, and going to do my best to quit again.

Matt

5. copper

copper Member

I got up one morning through them in garbage had smoked for about eight years,that was almost 30 years ago, Why stack cards against you. Dave

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I was a huge Copenhagen and Day's 'O Work user back in the 70s and 80s. Maybe a can a day and 7 or 8 plugs a week. I quit when I saw my boy heading in that direction. Cold Turkey was the only way for me. It wasn't easy but it was possible as long as I remembered that snoose and plug were not essential to life, I could cut them out completely and my life quality would not suffer. I then began to see myself as a non-chewer. That did the ticket. I no longer have cravings. Funny thing is, I still smoke a couple of cigars a month but i don't really crave those either. Sometimes a go a couple of months without a cigar. it all depends on the occasion and location.

7. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Cold turkey is the only way. You have to want to quit badly enough. I quit cold turkey in 1975. I chewed snuff, and days work. I would have a chew when I went to bed and it would be gone in the morning and I would load up again. I tried it several years later when a friend I was duck hunting with offered it to me. Wrong, was sicker than a horse for the rest of the day. Good final cure. BRGII

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A prescription drug called Zyban did it for me.

I went from 4 packs a day down to zero and never even had the urge.

Un-freaking-believable......at least it was for me.

No withdrawl pains, and no hunger pains.

Just wish I had never started.

Good luck to you.

Hauxfan!

9. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Matt, This is how I did it. Life is choices I choose not to smoke or chew.I choose not to buy them or bum them. It seems simple and it is. I smoked and chewed for over 40 yrs. I still want to, but I choose not to. I may have to choose every couple of minutes,but I make the choice not to and you can too. My girlfriend has tried every thing patches,Zyban,gum etc. and still smokes.I tell her to choose not to smoke,but she says thats easy for me,but not her.It wasn't easy,but you can do it 1 minute at a time if need be. Hope this helps. George

10. jmas

jmas TS Member

First of all, you tell everyone that you know that you are quiting. Include some folks that you don't even know. Then if any of them catch you smoking they will know that you are a weak "pussy" and couldn't stand up to a commitment. YOU DON'T WANT THAT, DO YOU???? It worked for me.

P.S. I tried all the other "cures" and it was too easy to cheat. You know- playing cards, having a beer, you know ---- just one l puff !!!!!!!!!!!!

jmas

11. willing

willing Member

I used to write the time on my desk calender each time I smoked. Got down to 2 per day at work. Went home and finished the pack. Said to myself, what a dope and threw them away. That was 25 years ago.

bill

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Matt,

Cold turkey works for some not others. I did a combination of zyban (welbutrin) and the patch. Make sure it is not the extended release welbutrin.

I smoked 3-4 packs a day for yrs and quit for over 5 yrs when a friend of mine (so called) offered me a cuban cigar I didn't figure it would hurt to have just one. BS within a while I was back o 3 packs a day. I have been smoke free for the last 4 yrs now. Being around smokers doesn't bother me as long as I don't smoke one myself. I allow smoking in my vehicle if you would like just not in the house. I refuse to be one of those holier than thou but heads.

My point withe the ramblin is that the hard part is smoking or dipping that last one. Occasionally you'll get that urge but only lasts a second or 2 and it's gone. The welbutrin helps with the I'm gonna shoot something or somebody if I don't get my fix feeling. Good luck my friend as it is a short but tough road. At least it was for me.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Matt, After trying several times and techniques to quit without success I used a prescription drug called chantix. It worked for me. I've been niccotine free for over a year and a half with no cravings.

The only downside to chantix for me was some pretty vivid dreams at night.

You might be able to get your insurance to pay for it.

Jim

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If this doesn't do it go figure out how to eat your Big Macs through a straw.

HM

15. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am glad that I am not alone....in saying this is hard!

Matt

16. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I think I could have given up women,cocaine,and beer much easier than the Marlboro's.However;when the doc told me that I had throat cancer it didn't take me long to give them babies up!After 42 treatments of radiation and three months of chemo and now not having any taste buds or making any salavia for the rest of my lucky life................I would still give 100.00 bucks for just one!Point being........it ain't easy..............JUST LAY THEM DOWN!

17. Loyac

Loyac Member

Country Squire IS CORRECT!!!
    I'm talking from experience... You have to choose not to smoke or chew.
    It's not easy. But you'll get over the physical addiction before you know it. The psychological addition will stay with you for a while. You have to keep on choosing NOT TO. You can do it. As much pleasure and comfort as snuff or cigarettes provide, in the long run, it's not worth it. It's a disgusting and dangerous habit. John

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Easy way is to mix your snuff 50/50 with cayanne pepper! Won't take long to quit!

:)

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Nicotine patches and perserverance............I smoked for 35 years, decided to quit in 1994, finally got 'er done five years later in 1999. Never give up, when you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and get back on. Hardest thing I ever done but it's worth it, don't think I could'a done it without the patches.

John C. Saubak

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The first week was easy (at least for me), anybody can get tuff' with themselves for a WEEK.....right? After a month has passed and the cravings seem like they're NEVER goin' away????, it's tempting to give up.....DON'T. You gotta' outlast the bastard, if you don't, he'll suck ya' back in.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.