1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Home Alarm Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by k1200ltc509, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Hello, I have a dilemma. I snapped off the contact piece that mounts to the sliding door on my pole barn. Not the wired piece that run s to the toughpad, but the square piece with the magnet in it.

The alarm company wants $$40.00 for each one! For something that cost maybe $2.00. Anyone have a source for these? Thanks, Rick Gibbs

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Like this, has Honeywell on it. Rick Gibbs I need three
    k1200ltc509_2008_030396.jpg

3. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Even if you can't find the exact part, which does look pretty standard, my guess is that you could mount a small magnet and get the same effect.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any magnet will work. 40 bucks is an insult to your intelligence. If Radio shack wants more than 7.50 PM me and I'll mail you a magnet.

You could strap a cow magnet on there but it would be overkill. You could also smash that housing and find another way to mount the magnet. lPreferably with a plastic clamp of some kind.

These are simple proximity switches with a glass enclosed reed in a plastic case mounted on the wall, and the magnet on the door closes the contacts when it gets close.

Some of them are actual physical switches that you can hear click when they operate.

Pat traps have a couple of these switches on them too.

HM

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

These guys are right. Even if you can't get the exact item. You could retrofit something simular

6. cementman

cementman Member

Just do a Google search for "Honeywell Alarm Contacts". All kinds of them for around $3.00. Also do a search on Ebay, they have them also.

7. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Hello, I have a dilemma. I snapped off the contact piece that mounts to the sliding door on my pole barn. Not the wired piece that run s to the toughpad, but the square piece with the magnet in it.

The alarm company wants $$40.00 for each one! For something that cost maybe $2.00. Anyone have a source for these? Thanks, Rick Gibbs

8. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Like this, has Honeywell on it. Rick Gibbs I need three
    k1200ltc509_2008_030396.jpg

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Even if you can't find the exact part, which does look pretty standard, my guess is that you could mount a small magnet and get the same effect.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any magnet will work. 40 bucks is an insult to your intelligence. If Radio shack wants more than 7.50 PM me and I'll mail you a magnet.

You could strap a cow magnet on there but it would be overkill. You could also smash that housing and find another way to mount the magnet. lPreferably with a plastic clamp of some kind.

These are simple proximity switches with a glass enclosed reed in a plastic case mounted on the wall, and the magnet on the door closes the contacts when it gets close.

Some of them are actual physical switches that you can hear click when they operate.

Pat traps have a couple of these switches on them too.

HM

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

These guys are right. Even if you can't get the exact item. You could retrofit something simular

12. cementman

cementman Member

Just do a Google search for "Honeywell Alarm Contacts". All kinds of them for around $3.00. Also do a search on Ebay, they have them also.

13. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Cabinet door magnet, all kinds of sizes.

14. jlb

jlb Member

I superglued the magnets that we have broken off of our system.

jlb

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

You can get them at the above link. $4.00 each....

Hope this helps...

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.