1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T hiking boots ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ouch, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I walk my dog 1 1/2 miles or so a night, I'm looking for a comfortable pair of hiking boots, I need Vibram or some sort of traction sole as we walk through a grassy field,Sidewalks and streets.

These will not be work boots, Hunting, Woodcutting ect. Just hike, possible casual wear And maybe wear to club on a day I don't wear gym shoes.

My last pair survived 20 + years, But started to seperate. I wish the brand tag or my memory still existed. But the companny is probably out of business or no longer the same quality. ( I keep thinking they are Rocky boots) Thanks in advance. Richard

Edit: size 11 D or wide ( At least in my Redwings)

2. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I'm a dog walker too. Love my Merrills.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have Merrils- they say continum on them and are waterproof- I am shocked at how good they feel=

These also protect your ankles but still easy on and easy off

Also feels like you have custom orthotics inside

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Vasque. But, proper fit and comfort are different among individuals.

5. Garry

Garry Active Member

Lowa makes great hiking boots. See above URL.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The amount of insulation advertised has always puzzled me. Sometimes you see 400 grams that keep your feet warm to -20 degrees and then you'll see 2,000 grams of thinsulate say basicly the same thing. Does anyone know what the heck any of this really means especially when it comes to pacs vs. boots with the same stuffing?

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Vasque Clarion fits like a glove with zero break in needed! Lowa is a great boot also.PJ

8. andybull

andybull Active Member

Try Ecco's.

9. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Everybody has an opinion, so here's mine: Danner. I just bought two pair of Danner Light II's, for my wife and me. We both think they are the most comfortable boots we've owned. Speaking only for myself, I've had some really good boots, but these are the best I've had. Absolutely no break-in period, Vibram soles, waterproof (Gore-tex lined), no negatives at all. Well, I might wish they were a little cheaper, but I think Danners are a case of getting what you pay for. Plus, they're made in the US. Portland, OR, to be specific.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Anything but Rocky brand-they're junk. Right now I'm wearing New Balance.

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Meindl and Kennetrek are the best made. But they are not cheap. They will outlast three or four pair of some of the ones listed here. Just check out some of the guide/hiking and hunting sites. You will not need any insulation for what you say you intend to do. Gore Tex is always a nice feature for wet days.

12. Bridger

Bridger Member

I am a dog walker too and put on a lot of miles. I never have felt the need for insulated footwear as long as you are moving and my feet get cold easily. Merrell or Vasque with a goretex liner is what works best for me. I've tried others but these two brands seem to always work well. I get about two years of wear out of them before the tread is worn and I need something with more traction for the ice and snow. When it gets real bad though I use ice cleats. I've got one of those dogs bred for winter- Samoyed - and she wants to go no matter what the weather conditions

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Do yourself a big favor and look at Kenetrek. You need go no further as they simply are the very best boot made....IMO, of course......cya

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have several pair of the old Rockey's back when they were good ones and they are nearly wore out. I have several pair of Danners but mine and my wife's hiking boots are both Keen Targhee II Midheight boots. They saved our feet on our Utah hiking vacation this year.

15. ouch

ouch Member

Sorry for the delayed response, My work has been very busy. You guys gave me a lot to research. I am in the Dayton Ohio area do you know if any of these are sold at say Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Dicks Sportinggoods or any other retail type store

Also except for the lowaboot link posted, Does anyone have a link for any of these boots. Thank you all for the help. Richard

16. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I wear Merrills daily. I use a pair for quail and chukar hunting. They are great for rocky country-no slipping.

You can buy them for a very reasonable price from denimexpress.com.

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners for years, absolutely loved them, they fit like a glove. Unfortunately that particular boot is now made in China. Looking for a similar boot I found Zamberlan boots. They are an italian made hiking boot very similar to the Vasques of old. I really like the pair I got.

http://www.altrec.com/zamberlan/mens-992-panther-hiking-boot

john

18. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

Ouch,

I bought a pair of Keen hiking boot at Gander Mtn. in Huber Heights last summer. I've been wear wearing Keen shoes and sandals for about three years. No need to use the $300 inserts the podiatrist sold me.

Ted, Beavercreek, Ohio

19. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

You are talking a leather boot.

But for traction on ICE or frozen snow, Yeah I know i am from Arizona but we can find that stuff here.

The boot that surpriesed the heck out of me, I found in a HAZMAT supply catalog, It is a rubber like composite with a puncture resistent sole insert, and slip ressistent sole.

When I have gone to play in the snow, the first time I used these It blew my mind that everybody else was slipping around and falling and I was walking like there was no ice, then I put my driving shoes back on and almost could not get from the trunk to the drivers door.

I find them at NEW PIG

HAZMAX® Boots #WPL32Sold as: 1 pair

HAZMAX® boots provide superior chemical protection

it's an ugly light green boot with bright yellow sole,

AL

20. Loyac

Loyac Member

Merrell for comfort & quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best boots forhiking hunting woodcutting