1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T High Ranking General Blasts News Media

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late.

“Accordingly, I’m readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I’ll, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials - after the fact.”

Robert E. Lee, 1863

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LOL, history has a way of repeating itself.

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Lee SURRENDURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should have Yielded his command!!! Because as a General,,,He was too slow to act,,and when he did,,He was not aggressive enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee was an old fool!!!!!! And he killed as many of his men by BAD JUDGEMENT,,as union bullets did...........

In his case the media was correct,,but his own stubborness and pride kept him in the field where he clearly did not belong.........

Quote someone who didn't get his ass kicked.....

AKA Grammie.........

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Grammie:

After that post, you better stay out of the Deep South.

Old Bobbie Lee is still revered as a fighting general and a master tactician down here. He worked wonders with a smaller army and kept the forces of a larger, more industrialized Union at bay for almost 4 years. Sam Grant prevailed simply because he was willing to take massive casualties in order to wear down Lee to the point of surrender. Even at the end, Lee negotiated an equitable surrender for his men.

To insult Lee, The Union turned Arlington, Lee’s wife’s estate into a cemetery. It’s ironic and wonderful that Arlington has now become the final resting place of many a hero from many a war.

To really appreciate Lee’s loss and sacrifice, one needs to visit Arlington House, Lee’s residence, and sit in the small room over the Greek arch on the front of the house. Looking out the window, you are in a direct line with the Lincoln Memorial, National Mall, Washington Monument and White House.

Visit often. We got lots of fence rails, hot tar and chicken feathers waiting for you.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't mess with Bubba. That war will never be over.

HM

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

That may be,,,,,But time and history has shown that General Robert E Lee viewed the war as a gallant gentlemen where officers sitting horseback directed men under fire,,,,and ordered men to make forward assults against entrenched troops backed by cannons,,and where men standing in dense ranks exchanged volley fire.....This type of warfare is now viewed as STUPIDITY of the highest order!!!

Robert E Lee was a "french poodle" in a fight that demanded a "pit bull"!!!! And the only ones that paid the price for his ignorance was his own men,,and the non-combatants of the south........

A gentlemen,,,has NO place in warfare...

AKA Grammie.......

7. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Grammie,

Once again your superior knowledge of both military history and tactics amaze me! Bobbie Lee had the highest kill ration of any commander in the war. Just check the figures. Granted, his judgement at Gettysburg lack something to be desired.

Since he led an army that was on an average outnumbered 2 to 1 and held them at bay for almost 3 years shows that you are correct again. The South needed more bulldogs like Hooker, McClellan, Burnside and Pope just to name a few.

But I will bow out to your knowledge since from your bio you have busted a lot of caps on the little people of world and set a record by graduating from the Hill at an early age.

Van

8. grammie

grammie TS Member

Body Count????? Is that what wins??? Vietnam taught us the folly of that assumption,,,Iraq will enforce the lesson we failed to learn...Permit me to use the old saying,,,,"Its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters,,,its the size of the fight in the dog"....

AKA Grammie..........

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

General Lee is honored here next to my home town in Murray KY.

A Court House photograph taken in the early 1940's. This 3-story brick Classical Revival structure still sits in the middle of the town square. It was constructed of buff-color brick with stone details, such as quoins, window lintels, and belt courses.

A stone Confederate War memorial with a statue of Robert E. Lee stands at the northeast corner of the square.

This is a recent photograph of the Confederate Memorial on the Square. This rather complicated monument consists of a granite slab base supporting a four-columned canopy topped by marble ball on each corner. Atop the canopy is a base supporting a life-sized marble statue of General Robert E. Lee. Beneath the arches formed by the canopy and in the center of the Doric columns, a porcelain drinking fountain rests, with an ornate iron light fixture featuring four incandescent bulbs above and iron fence enclosures around. The drinking fountain was operated by a step pedal. The total height of the monument is approximately 16.5 feet. Note: This statue was carved in Italy from world renowned carrara marble.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

We still liked him down here in our little part of the world.

Foghorn220

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Grammie, now you've gone too far. Besmirch R.E. Lee !!!!!!!! Never a finer gentleman has been born in this land than Marse Robert.

Even though you are now living out west, your still nothing buy a damn Yankee!!!

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's interesting that even decades after his death, the US Armyhad a tank named after him. (The M3 Lee medium tank of WWII, predecessor of the M4 Sherman.)

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Lee performed a great service for the Union after his surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. Lee resisted calls by some officers to reject surrender and allow small units to melt away into the mountains, setting up a lengthy guerrilla war. He insisted the war was over. Otherwise, the fighting would have gone on much longer.

During the war, Lee suffered at least one heart attack and felt responsible for the death of many thousands of soldiers. After the war, he turned down $50,000 (several million in today’s dollars) to write his memoirs for a New York newspaper.

After Appomattox, Lee received an offer to serve as the president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University) and remained president of the College until his death from a stroke in 1870.

I have read that, after Appomattox, Lee would never walk “in step” again.

Robert Edward Lee was a great American, a gentleman and a great general.

13. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Gee Gram, looks like a bunch of "history class sentimentalists" educated south of the Mason-Dixon, eh?

14. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Back to the original post, yes, it never changes. Lee showed great wit and intelligence, much to the effect of a Mark Twain. I am sure if I were alive in 1860 I could have done a much better job than Bobby Lee. (facetious) If Lee or me would have had Stonewall Jackson at Gettysburg.....

15. DocJim

DocJim Member

."This type of warfare is now viewed as STUPIDITY of the highest order!!!"

Probably so, as viewed from our current time and perspective, BUT it was the accepted form of warfare in its day. That 20/20 hindsite sure is great.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.