1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T High End 1911s

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have been toying around with the idea of buying a high end 1911, however I am apprehensive of buying one without shooting it first. I would like to compare between a Wilson, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown (models with light rails).

So my question is, for you 1911 nuts how did you know which high end 1911 was for you? I do not know anyone with any of these models, nor are there any stores in my area that carries such fine pistols, let alone has demo models.

How do they expext you to throw down so much cach on a pistol without trying it first. Any advice? BTW I'm in NW Ohio

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have not looked at kimber. I am not totally opposed to them but I have heard of the QC issues, particularly concerning the extractors, I would imagine the issues have been long fixed (if they ever existed) but nontheless it has turned me off to kimber.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

He said high end! LOL.

-Gary

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Don't overlook the S&W models.

Guy Babin

5. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Mostly for target shooting. I dont need a $2000+ pistol for self defense. These pieces are made like fine watches... too nice to tuck under a shirt JMO

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

HIGH... END

7. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Check out STI, great guns.

8. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am fairly set in the manufacturers I am interested in, my question is more along the lines of how do you choose such an expensive piece without firing several first. It just seems like alot of money to dish out without alot of research.

9. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Also - don't rule out Colt.
    The resale or collector value will remain 'high end'.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rick:

People in Law Enforcement loving a pistol doesn't make it high end. After all, the most popular LEO gun is the Glock. I'm not being a wise guy, or saying that Kimbers aren't OK, but the man specifically mentioned Wilson's and Ed Brown. These are premium specialty pistols which are on an entirely different level. And for others to throw S&W or Colt into that discussion is just plain silly.

-Gary

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

LOL if you are refering to me, I am most def. not a lady... and with that I think I lost my thread

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have found alot of the time buying a high-end 1911 you are only buying the name . You need to spend some time on 1911 web sites .

I now shoot a Spingfield and it is as good as most and much better then some .

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Colt

Wilson and Baer are 2000-4000 dollar guns- you said you werent going to pay that much

Colt

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS probably a stainless gold cup- somewhere around 1000

14. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

ALF
    I have a Springfield MC Operator now and absoluely love it. I guess it is the same as trap guns, I can break em with my Browning but I WANT and Kolar. Same thing here, just want an upgrade.

15. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am well aware of their price, when did I say I wasnt going to pay that much

16. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

Gary Reeder out in Az. can build you a very fine 1911 on a pistol you send him or one in stock. His revolvers and custom work are excellent and I would expect the same from his autos. Another choice to bake your noodle.

Jeff

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

BP,

Have you checked at your local Fun Store (with an indoor range)?

I ask because I know that Impact (my local Fun Store, w/ range) has a Wilson, a Nighthawk, and I think a Les Baer for rent. You might have to look around in your area to see if there's a place like that.

Barring being able to shoot one, I think you just have to read as much as you can and then take a chance.

18. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Browning Potato - For serious competition bullseye, look at the Bullseye wadcutter from the Custom Shot at Springfield Armory.

Another one to consider is from Rock River. I believe that these 1911's are out of production, so they will be hard to find.

Good luck!

Dave

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I own 2 Kimbers, a Team Match II and a Pro CarryII. Once I had them broke in, I have not had a feed problem, jam, nada! Do you want a Sunday gun, or just something reliable? If you want something more expensive than a Kimber, buy a Wilson Combat. It may be more expensive, but not necessarily better.

20. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Recently, I purchased a Wilson CQB from a friend. I've owned and shot Kimber, Colt, Sig 1911s. The Wilson is far and away the best 1911 I've owned and shot. Workmanship, smoothness, trigger pull, etc. are all first class. I like it so much, I bought a second one from another friend - never fired. I don't consider myself a great pistol shooter. When shooting the Wilson, I shot better than I ever have. I can only attribute that to the pistol because I haven't changed.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.