1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T HERNIA SURGERY ANYBODY HAD IT?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I HAVE TO GO IN TUESDAY FOR A GROIN HERNIA REPAIR, I'VE NEVER HAD A SURGERY BEFORE SO I'M SCARED AS YOU MIGHT IMAGINE. ANYONE HAD THIS KIND OF SURGERY AND CAN GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HOW IT WENT? THANKS

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This has become almost routine in this day and age ... I had it many years ago and you will have to wear some type of support until it heals up ... Feels like someone kicked you and wasn't kidding for awhile ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The operation was/is nothing. But, You will remember your first bowel movement after the operation. That I do recall. LOL. Good luck, you'll do fine. Bob

4. JEB

JEB Active Member

No big deal. Had it done about 10 years and went to work the next day, just office stuff. You will be a little tired for the first few days and back to full activity in 4 to 6 weeks. Good luck!

JEB

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Had both sides of my groin and navel done a couple years ago. It is almost always arthoscopic today, they place a mesh material in there and sew your muscles to it. I was in recovery for 1 hour, then sent home. They put a catheter in me and for a day it was like urinating liquid fire. That was the worst part of the entire thing so go in with confidence. You have already undergone worse trauma than this minor operation. You can't lift anything for a couple of weeks.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The worst thing that happened to me was the RX for Tylenol 3. They didn't warn me about constipation and trust me you don't want to go there.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Do not cough.. and keep away from anyone who makes you laugh.. A sneeze will make you see stars for the first day or two.. The worst is over in 3 days.. I was back to work the 2nd day.. but walking somewhat hunched over.. You'll not stand up straight for a few weeks.. In 3 to 4 weeks.. its all a bad memory..

8. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

the surgery is not to big of a deal i had it done 15 years ago what sucked was i had to be off work 5 weeks and then 3 more weeks before the doc would let me lift
    heavy loads.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Had mine a couple of years ago, O/P. Recovery will depend on how severe a hernia you have... on one side or both?! Scoped surgery is least invasive... a couple/three holes with a stitch or two each... light duty for a few weeks...

Ask for lots of ice cream... its works for hernia patients too! (lol, ooops, sorry!)

regards and good luck,

Jay

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The biggest trauma is the anxiety you go through leading up to the event. Afterwards, if the doctor tells you to use ice do it religiously. Find a comfortable chair, ice and the remote for the first 24hrs. and only move when mother nature calls. After that you should be good to go. I'd tell you how the topical anesthetic they gave me didn't have the desired effect, and how it feels to be cut into with a scalpel, but you don't need to hear that:)

Robert

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Yes i had it 20yrs ago-and i can still remember the pain, dont sneeze,laugh,or poop for awile after.

12. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

12 hours till surgery time, Never had surgery before so I'm scared to death, Any last words of encouragement?

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

All kidding aside, having been there done that for more surgery's than I care to remember the best advice I can offer is this. Accept in your mind the worst thing that can happen and let the rest take care of itself. The good Lord isn't going to take you off this planet one minute earlier then he already has planned.

Robert

14. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Well had it a week ago and don't want it again, He said I had about a softball size hole in me and when he cut me open my appendix shot out at him, he said he kept trying to put it back but it would'nt stay so he cut it off then the bladder would'nt stay put so he had to do some work on it and then repair the hole. The first few days I could hardly move now I can get around but still sore. I just wish It was all over with.

15. cp

cp TS Member

You had a bad one. How long did you have it?

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Targetmaster. That's a huge hole he repaired. I won't ask about your first bowel movement, that's the one pain I remember from mine and that's a few years ago. Good luck, mend well, and have a Happy New Year. Bob

17. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

47 years!!! I guess this will teach me to put things off and be a bodybuiler most of my life. I won 2 state titles with that hernia without it hurting me but I guess I was ripping up my insides all the while.

18. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

had one repaired in 2001. Nothing to be worried about.

Matt Nicol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.