1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T HELP! Trying to pursue an invention

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Trying to pursue an invention and really dont know what to do first. I talked to a Notory and she said all I'd be doing is having her verifing that I signed my name on that date. Do I go to a proto-type company and have someone I dont know run with my idea? Do I go to a patent atty. first? Trying my best to keep costs down. I've read so many different things online and dont know who to trust or what to do. I have at this point documented my ideas and have witnesses sign papers. any thoughts would be appreciated....Thanks

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Inventing is the easy part, marketing is the toughest part

I invented an air device that is used in commercial HVAC about 10 years ago, I have dumped about $100,000 into it getting UL listings getting the equipment to build them etc, but since the economy has tanked, sales have been minimal.

Patents can run about $40,000+, and are worth the paper they are written on, thank you globalization, somebody can ship it to China and make one minor change and make the product and you can fight them, but you better have real deep pockets, because you will have to pay your attorney up front, that was told to me by a patent atty.

Didn't want to pop you balloon but those are the facts, it is real tough to get it to happen unless you can find some venture capital.

But don't give up, the economy can't stay in the tank forever, I hope

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Never invented anything but was told by a friend that makes a living in marketing that many times a copyright is all that is needed. It's more important to make sure your not infringing on someone elses patent.

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If at all possible let the attorneys do the work. They know what to do and in the past I was glad I did that. Of course you have to decide whether your product is worth the funds spent. On a few of my patents I wish I had not spent the money and just put them on the market, knowing someone was going to copy them. It all depend on the time you think you have for sales. If it is a slow growing product I would suggest you spend the time on an attorney. If it is something you can produce fast, market fast, and get your distributors to stay with you the attorney and patents are sometime a waste. Of course you should at least have them do a search to be sure you will not get burned.

PM me if you want to use my history.

CM

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Patent Attorney First!!! at least for guidance.

Chuck

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You're going to get all sorts of advice on this topic. Having been there and done that several times, I can give you my take on the experiences.

It depends on just what you've invented. A Copyright might be the best way to establish yourself. However, if you think patient and copyright costs are big, wait until you try to defend your product.

I'd review just what you think the likelihood of being ripped off is, and then direct my efforts to getting the product to market. "Patient Pending" only slows down the semi-honest people. The pirates are all overseas and you'll never touch them, no matter how much money you'll spend. You will make a Patient attorney rich in the process.

As has been said, marketing is key. Honestly assessing the four P's, and a realistic product life-cycle are the best ways to make an informed decision on where to put you invention development costs.

My advice is don't get bogged down in the minutia, make it, market it fast and wide and let the actual experience decide for you.

Kip

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Inventing is one thing, manufacturing another and taking it to market is a whole other ball game and will determine your products success.

I've witnessed time and again great products never make it off the factories floor and out the door for lack of marketing and sales expertise.

If your product is for a limited market such as the target sports and can be made in a garage or jobbed to a small shop machine shop, Then I say forget about patients and copyrights and do like many do, selling their products at shoots, shows and through magazines. If you think you have a high volume item then the frist step is a working prototype and the second is finding a backer or selling your idea to a larger company.

You can protect yourself with photograph's and drawings having each notarized and certified mailed to yourself for the future if needed as proof of invention. Also any meetings you may have, have an NDA (None disclosure agreement) signed before you expose any of your ideas.

Good luck..........

Surfer

8. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Even patents, copyrights or all the legal CYA you can think of will sometimes not matter. I was going to take a company to court for stealing one of my products. Attorney fees were estimated to reach eighty thousand for a product that brought in only twenty thousand a year. Of course the thieves knew I was not going to spend that much. Their is as many thieves in business as their are on the wrong side of town.

The main thing is to not give up. If you have an idea follow it through, if that one does not work find another one. I can think of dozens of people I have known that had good ideas for products that would sell and they just never went through with it. Make it, make it better than anyone else can and market it as fast as possible. Let the distributors do your marketing as much as possible. I hope you make it and good luck.

CM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.