1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Help! Right steps to make for inventors

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

What I hear and read are not always the same. I'm interested in pursuing an invention. Does anyone know the first steps to take? I have documented and have the idea witnessed. Talked to a notory but she says all I'd be doing is having my signature witnessed on that date. Don't know what sites to trust online. Where can I go to get a proto type made? Patent office or Patent attorney? Cost? What are your thoughts? Thank you

2. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

What I hear and read are not always the same. I'm interested in pursuing an invention. Does anyone know the first steps to take? I have documented and have the idea witnessed. Talked to a notory but she says all I'd be doing is having my signature witnessed on that date. Don't know what sites to trust online. Where can I go to get a proto type made? Patent office or Patent attorney? Cost? What are your thoughts? Thank you

3. beaker100

beaker100 Member

the first thing you need is mechincial drawing and a working model. most inventors make the orginal in there shop or garage.

then find a attorney that specializes in patents. the next step will be a patent serch to see if the item/idea is already patented. if the patent serch comes up negative then the attorney will apply for the patent. should cost $10,000.00 and up depending on how complex the the item/idea is after the mechincial drawing and the model is produced.

doug hubbart gunsmith/ colorado custom cases (573)286-9905 patent holder grip safe/grip stash motorcycle accessory

4. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Shootman, give me a call at 843-907-2346. I've been putting new products into the marketplace for 55 years. No charge for advice.

Hank Cross

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Back in the mid 1960's, a neighbor worked for years on a boat lift/storage rack for the back of a pick-up.

It mounted in the stake holes, or if you had a shell on, it could mount under the shell.

It was a framework of angle iron, that when operated by the wench, would move rearward until completely level at the rear of the truck.

You then would hook the cable up to your small fishing boat)upside down) and start cranking everything up.

As the boat came to the stop, then the frame would start moving upward until completely over the truck shell, and lock in place.

I saw him use this many times, and it worked great.

Later his wife said he spent many dollars trying to patent it, but his attorney said there was something like it with a pending patent, and he just gave up.

He was a great man and a good welder/mechanic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.