1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Help Passing Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 687_SP_II, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Anyone have a sure fire cure to help pass a 5MM kidney stone?

2. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Ouch!!!

I would pound a six pack and then take 3 tablespoons of Nyquil, lay down to sleep on a tarp and hope to pass it while you're zonked out!

Walker

3. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I'm with waterhouse on this one. It will be difficult to pass. I speak from experience as I've averaged one a year for the past 40 yrs. & had Lithotripsy done twice. The largest I've given birth to was 4mm & it was quite an impressive little darling!!!
    I'm sure your Urologist will give give the proper advice on how to procede.

Good Luck,
    i_shoot

4. oz

oz Active Member

try a herbal remmedy for kidney health AND lots of cranberry juice. I had a 4mm one recently and never felt it go. had 2 before that killed me with pain. oz

5. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I go in this Thursday for a Lithotripsy on my right kidney and next Thursday for the left. They can see at least 6 stones that are from 6mm to 9mm in size. OZ, better check with your Doctor. My doctor has cranberry juice on my list of things that I should avoid.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lots of Lemonade (real stuff).

Curt

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

having never had one and hope I never do all I can offer is my sympathy as I have friends who have explained the pain. I hope the ordeal is over soon.

8. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

My college roommate had one way back when. I thought he was going to die on me!

It's been said that the pain of passing a kidney stone is the closest thing to childbirth pain that a man can experience. I hope I never confirm this one!

The Bayrat

Erol Tucker - POC, TX

9. rea5339

rea5339 TS Member

Boil 1 cup of Flax seed in 2 quarts of water for 30 minutes then strain until clear liquid remains. Drink a glass twice a day until the stone passes. A 5MM will pass. I passed a 6MM wiht little problem.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I heard of a treatment with vibrations while immersed in water, supposed to fragment the stone for easier passing.

here is an excerpt about this, and there are other treatments discussed on the above URL:

In the case of extra-corporal shock wave lithotripsy, no incision is required. The patient stays in a metallic stainless basin filled by half with warm water. He/she is positioned so that the kidney that is going to be treated is on the way of the shock waves emitted by an electric generator located in the water. The waves penetrate easily the human tissue reaching the calculus without losing power. They keep bombarding the calculus till it is crumbled. Most patients eliminate easily these fragments. 80 % of the cases of kidney stone requiring treatment may use this technique.

Sounds like you can get help without having to piss a golf ball.

HM

11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I assume you have talked to a urologists Treatment depends on what the stone is made of and location.
    Extra-corporal shock wave lithotripsy(water tank isn't used anymore) Is a one possible treatment along with laser and basketing.
    Lots of water may help along with toradol. Is similar to motrin except it dilates the ureter.
    Two years ago I passed three stones in two weeks with the help of I.v. toradol.

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Is this a first stone, or have you had others?

Do you know the make-up of the stone (calcium vs uric acid - most typically, there are others too - check out the link above)?

Calcium will be more like a pebble - can be smooth. Uric acid will look like a WWII ocean mine - think spikes on the outside.

Calcium stones tend to be easier to pass, even fairly large ones. The uric acid ones, owing to shape can be a bear (been there, done that). One option is to insert a catheter past the stone and put you on a buffered salt to dissolve the uric acid - for the life of me I can't recall the name of it...

Good luck, what will you name it upon birth??

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have had Kidney stones 8 times. All in the left kidney. I have had lithotripsy 7 times, & 6 times it was a piece of cake passing the fragments.First time was terrible, & I changed Urologists. Now I am carrying a 1/2 INCH stone in my left kidney. Urologist says,"the position of the stone & the weight of the stone, it probably will stay there." As long as you get a Urologist that can aim pretty good, lithotripsy is the way to go as long as that's the way your Urologist wants to take care of it. When I was a beer drinker, I never had any kidney stones. I drink 8 glasses of water per day. Three of my children have had kidney stones. One had his first attack while fighting a forest fire in Utah. He didn't know what hit him. They lifted him out by helicopter.
    Talk to people who have had lithotripsy & go with the doctor who gets the best references.You must see an Urologist.

14. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Wow! Lots of good information here, of course the best is to find a good urologist.

Just got back from a CT scan last night and looked at it today. Only 1 more stone sitting there waiting but to come through but its "small".

I've realized that its even though I thought I was tough and could withstand pain... WRONG. You guys are talking 5-6 mm's and my body was involuntarly throwiing up with a 2-3mm bit of nothing.

Do you remember your thoughts with the first stone: ... What the heck has my appendix burst? I'm not THAT old am I? Hey wait I don't shoot skeet, and my body is falling apart! Is some UFO crawling out of my back?

Nothing like a few hours of unknown pain to make you think weird thoughts.

Find that urologist, lots of water, and enjoy the euphoria once that sucker passes.

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Good information. Ray.......

16. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Just got back from the doctor. Kidney stone is out of the kidney and about 2" from the bladder. Looks like it is time to pound a six pack. Thanks to all for the good info.

17. JLW

JLW TS Member

I've had them. Prevention is best so drink real lemon juice.

Someone told me to sit in a tub of hot water, drink beer and pray.-Jerald

18. Duck

Duck Member

687_SP_II,

Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Pure Lemon Extract (Grocery store's carry a version called "Real Lemon")

Mix 3oz of each together (6oz)
    and drink three time's daily.

Please try it and post the result's. Once the SOB enters the bladder the pain is gone. It was for me anyway, just a little warm gritty feeling when it exited
    Mr Happy :) and hit the funnel screen.

19. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I had the 5 stones in my right kidney blasted on Thursday. Been drinking lots of liquids and have been passing some small stones since thsn. No pain in passing the stones, just a little discomfort where they did the Lithotripsy. (Like a mild backache) <br>
    The machine that they blast you with has a gel or silicone bubble on the end that they place facing the kidney. You are in la la land when they do this, so you have no memory of what they did. Going back on Thursday to do the other side.

20. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Stone has passed. I think it was the beer. LOL. Did not get to try the olive oil and lemon. That would have been the next try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.