1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Help on pellet gun choice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snapthecat, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Just returned a Gamo Whisper .177 pellet gun. It was not accurate--would only group inside 5 inches at 40 yards. And was not a "whisper" at all. With the premium gold plated pellets it was as noisy as a .22 long rifle standard velocity.
    So, I am still looking-----need advice on one that is ACCURATE. Hope some of you guys have experience with these. Thanks

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most accurate one I've ever owned was a Beeman R-9 in .20 cal. The least accurate was a Model 54 RWS Recoiless in .22 cal. I think I've owned nearly every RWS made at one time and wasn't happy with any. Stay away from .177 cal if you want high velocity as the pellets tend to go supersonic destroying accuracy. I'm currently shooting a Beeman R-1 in .22 cal.-shoots good and really kills!!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a Gamo with a factory scope. The scope would not stay in place - the recoil caused it to move and I got rid of it

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with my Sheridan 5mm. I fitted a peep sight to it and narrowed the front blade. This combo will shoot into a bottle cap at 20 yards. Hope your not planning to snap any cats though, this air gun will seriously injure or kill small animals.

5. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I grew up shooting a Sheridan at .200 that was very accurate, but I now have a GAMO hunter (1000 fps) with the factory scope. I did a 4 or 5 shot group last weekend that was about 3/4" at 35 yds, but Cubancigar has it right, after finishing up, I noticed that the scope had moved backwards again and would have to be reset. Who knows how long it will be before I get it set to pull that off again.

d

6. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

RWS makes .22 cal rim-fire ammunition that duplicates their air rifles. 17 grain lead "pellet" at 750 ft/sec. Pick your favorite .22 cal rifle and turn it into your "pellet gun". Quiet. Accurate. Scopes don't move like they do with air guns. You can get them at http://www.22ammo.com/. Look for the BB caps and CB caps. Not cheap, but very nice.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

these gotta be accurate!!!!! I have been looking around for something myself. I think I would prefer the 200/300 range for what Im looking for.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how are the large 50cal pellet guns?

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I just bought a new Beeman R7. It is a low power, spring air rifle that is accurate as all get out. It's as quiet as a spring gun gets once it is broken in.

A couple of guys at the club razzed me about my "toy" gun, but they sure shut up once it proved to shoot way better than their magnums. I use Beeman Match target and JSB Exact and Exact Express pellets. Accuracy is astounding. Everything through one hole at 10 meters is a given. Everything through one ragged hole at 30 yards is a given. Everything in a 1/2" circle at 50 yards is possible if there is no wind and I do my part.

I use an RWS 3x9x40 scope on Beeman rings with the recoil stop pin. My scope hasn't moved or changed zero since I mounted it. 610fps with a JSB Exact is plenty enough for field targets at 50 yards. Even the rams slam down when hit. It is also more than enough for squirrels at 30 yards.

My advice is to get a Beeman or HW rifle in the 7fp to 12fp range and be done with it. You don't need anything more in the way of power, and the accuracy will be top notch.

10. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Another vote for the Beeman R 7 in .177.

It is possibly the favorite air gun of those who have more than one. But, like all accurate guns, it needs a good scope. We are talking super accurate.

Google it for articles about this long time classic. If I could only have one air gun, it would be an easy choice : the R 7 in .177.

It is light and easy to carry and point in the field. It is the easiest to cock of all the break open guns. It hits hard enough to kill air gun pests. And it is capable of single hole regulation targets, if you use a scope.

Mr. Beeman wrote that it was one of his favorites for just the reasons I have stated.

Drawbacks? It will not kill a raccoon. Use a .22LR for that any way. It will not make a lot of noise. Some guys want that. It is not a PCP, which is the future of air guns, until you run out of air. Then you want the R 7.

Bottom line: Beeman R 7 is a super accurate, tack driving, sweet little air gun.

11. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

Another vote for the Beeman R7. Mine is set up with a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 scope with Beeman rings. Beeman imports these guns and puts their name on them. The rifle is actually made by Weihrauch in Germany, one of the best makers of airguns. Outstanding, adjustable trigger, excellent wood, and quality throughout. As mentioned, one hole groups at 10 meters. I highly recommend this rifle, and I did alot of research before buying. You will not be disappointed.
    Tom

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I have gamo hunter Some of you say they dont shoot good .Are you useing the regular pellets? there are magnum pellets for those guns. Next did you put regular 22 bases on it? There is a special set of bases for the magnum rifles. They have a set screw to keep them from moving. Mine will shoot in an inch at 50yds with Beeman Silver Arrow pellets, at 25yds they will shoot through a 3/4 board. Next thing there is no whisper in ANYTHING that soohts over the speed of sound. rick

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

In 1994 I took a three year contract to open an office for a Mexican company in Mexico City.
    I was unable to take my guns due to their draconian laws so I bought an air rifle to shoot in my garage.

It is a Mendoza RM 450 that is made in Mexico. Target grade, low velocity (chrono'd at 450fps) heavy adult rifle with a test target. It has a good trigger and will shoot better than I can. When I returned to the US I use it to train cats. I think RWS is now marketing them under their name. Check them out. They have a full line from target to magnum.

HBT

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Benjamin Sheridan in .20 cal is my most accurate pellet gun. I also have an RWS 34 in .20 cal and while it is more fun to shoot (you don't have to pump it 8 times), it is not nearly as accurate.

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I have gamo hunter Some of you say they dont shoot good .Are you useing the regular pellets? there are magnum pellets for those guns. Next did you put regular 22 bases on it? There is a special set of bases for the magnum rifles. They have a set screw to keep them from moving. Mine will shoot in an inch at 50yds with Beeman Silver Arrow pellets, at 25yds they will shoot through a 3/4 board. Next thing there is no whisper in ANYTHING that soohts over the speed of sound. rick

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

In 1994 I took a three year contract to open an office for a Mexican company in Mexico City.
    I was unable to take my guns due to their draconian laws so I bought an air rifle to shoot in my garage.

It is a Mendoza RM 450 that is made in Mexico. Target grade, low velocity (chrono'd at 450fps) heavy adult rifle with a test target. It has a good trigger and will shoot better than I can. When I returned to the US I use it to train cats. I think RWS is now marketing them under their name. Check them out. They have a full line from target to magnum.

HBT

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Benjamin Sheridan in .20 cal is my most accurate pellet gun. I also have an RWS 34 in .20 cal and while it is more fun to shoot (you don't have to pump it 8 times), it is not nearly as accurate.

18. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

3 letters RWS!!!

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

for ricks1 - I want to clarify that my Gamo ( was an expensive model that shot at 1000 fps) was very accurate and I had no trouble with it except the scope moving. If I could have found a gunsmith who could stabilize the scope for a reasonable amount, I would have kept it. It killed a few skunks, and other animals that were pests on the farm and around the barn

20. pw1

pw1 TS Member

Gammo is a well made gun but the triggers are not good. RWS is a good choice and as to size, it really depends on what you plan on doing with the rifle. The .177 are super accurate but don't have the killing power of the .22, but they do punch holes in paper real well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.