1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Help my memory

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm 43. As a kid I can remember (at least I think that I do) seeing semi trucks dragging either chains or strips of something from behind their trucks. I seem to remember this was done to dissipate the static electricty. I'm I nuts? BTW I was raised in cental IL and rememebr seeing this on the way the N. AR. Thanks in advance...Randy

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

"I'm I nuts?"

Only a nut would say that so ... yeah ... your nuts.

Grounding straps to discharge static electricity. You still see them to this day underneath ambulances and fire trucks and such. Sometimes though they are dangling chains instead of the metal type strap that is hanging from the undercarriage.

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

I rarely see them anymore... Does that mean they've found a better way to discharge the electricity? I'm sure the static remains... John

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, lightning didn't go away but my stock in the lighning rod factory is pretty low now.

HM

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Don't EVER drag anything behind your truck!

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They apparently have reformulated the tire compounds over the years, to conduct the static to ground through trace elements of carbon and other elements mixed into the tires. Most vehicles will be affected by static electricity and it appears that is even more severe with composite body panels. By tire and vehicle design, they have eliminated the need for additional static charge dispersal devices.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm old enough to remember them dragging some type of chain too. Especially those gas tankers.

Hell to be old, but it does beat the alternative. Hauxfan!

8. nicky

nicky Member

I remember it too, Here's another one to remember, those round oil pots that where road flares at construction zones along the highway. You could hardly see them on a dark rainy night.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang not only do I remember those but I also remember using them to darken my sights on the range in the military.

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Hey, does anyone remember curb feelers? I do remember trucks dragging chains.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Curb feelers? Remember them ... hell I'm so old I put them on my wheelie chair years ago.

12. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Geez Lumper, you ARE old.

13. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

My question is...Did anyone else think that following a gas truck, dragging a chain that is throwing sparks, was a bad idea????LOL Yes, I remember them. They have found better methods to dissipate static these days, Thank God. And yes, I remember the old oil pot road markers too. Jeez and I was feeling pretty spritely until I read this post. My all time favorite old remembrance is the sound of a "Johnny-Popper" (John Deere flat twin) pulling a plow through the field in the spring. I had a back door neighbor (in town) up until recently that was a collector. He moved 2 years ago. The neighborhood ain't been the same since.

14. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I remember the chain on the Standard Oil delivery trucks. Once during a hard rain there were several of us young guys that had parked our bikes next to the overhang of a store in a small town and taken refuge when a standard truck driver parked about a half block away and ran down to join us. I asked him about the chain and he told me he'd drive in a thunderstorm but not when the truck Was empty.Yes I remember curb feelers also. And wheel covers and fuzzy dice and coon tails and you name it I have a great memory and it's fun to go back every now and then to talk about it. Dan

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

That was in the day when a quart of oil came in a glass jar with a metal spout.

16. nicky

nicky Member

likes to shoot, then there was the cardboard (fiber) quarts of oil. And if you didn't get the spout just right or if the point on the pour spout got dull you could crush the can and then resorted to punching a hole in the top of the can with a screw driver to pour from, ah the memories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.