1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Heating Question--Vacant House Temperature

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ron Burdick, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

What is a good thermostat setting for a vacant home during Jan-April? I am talking about upstate NY, it may go below -0 degrees.

Thanks for any input.

Ron Burdick

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

I had a cabin in the Sierras once that was vacant late Dec. through March. We kept it at 58 degrees and never had any problems.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you have any water pipes that are on outside walls they will require extra care. HMB

4. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Ron, most people who leave a house empty for the winter set their thermostats at 55 degs. I know a lot of snow birds that have never had a problem. Happy wintering. p.s. have fun shooting.
    Fran Davis

5. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I leave my house at 8 degrees C from Jan-April.

I also shut off the water and open the tap in the laundry tubs that drains my water. I don't blow it out.

So far, no problems in 10 years.

I live in Barrie Ontario Canada

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Ron, I would set the thermostat at 55 degrees, TURN OFF THE WATER AND HOT WATER TANK, and drain the water from the pipes. Draining the water from the pipes for that short of a period should not cause any problems. I would also put a little anti-freeze in the stools. It is hard to get all the water out of the trap in the stools.

7. Bill Renner

Bill Renner TS Member

What type of heat in that vacant home?

8. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Bill Renner,

The house is a 2400 Sq Ft ranch. It is a hot water boiler, with 2 zones. I have a "Honeywell Winter Watchman" thermostat that will turn on a red light and alert my neighbor if the heat goes below 45F.

I am trying to find out how low I could set the heat. It looks like around 54 or 55 degrees.

Ron Burdick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.