1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Heat pump advice, please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snapthecat, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

The old oil furnace is on its last legs. Wanting to replace it with a heat pump.
    So far I have quotes on Trane, Goodman, Ruud, and Carrier. Goodman is the friendliest price. Does any one have experience with Goodman? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Get a larger unit than you need. You will reap the benefits with lower utility bills.

I installed a unit (Trane) about twice as large as the book called for when figuring the size of my house. I had to get the house rewired for it. It is well insulated. My last month's electric bill was around $130. Summer is around $75. I do not have gas lines where I live, and my unit is all electric. I keep the t'stat at 68 in the winter, and a touch over 80 in the summer. Yes, I am a cheapskate.

I also went the flourescent bulb replacement route. It DOES make a difference. I live alone, but work out five days a week and do more laundry than most single folks. I have energy saver appliances, including water heater, washer/dryer and stove. I seldom eat out. Did I mention I am a cheapskate? LOL

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Goodman is the least expensive for a reason. They aren't quite up to par. They will work, but that's as far as it goes. Buy quality, not price. You get just what you pay for. Trane, Ruud, Gibson, and Carrier are usually pretty good.

4. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Would you guys please explain to me why Goodman is no good. Would any of you recommend Amana.

David Knapp

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

Go with the Goodman, I replaced a trane with it, 3 ton, installed 3 years no trouble what so ever.

Bill

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

didnt say what part of US you were in if in the north will cost you alot to heat with only good to about 30 then the electric heat kicks in rick

7. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Ricks1--I live in the far western part of North Carolina--elevation 2050 ft. 9 miles from the Tennessee border on the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Temp range for the past year was plus 90 to plus 4. Thanks for your input.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Have a mechanical contractor do a BTU Comparison before deciding on the heat pump. Your probably OK based on where you live, but have a professional tell you what system is best your location, R value of your house and life style. Most heat pumps are efficient to 40 degrees, then resistant heat source kicks in.
    Your Electric rates matter too.

9. hoot619

hoot619 Member

We have one and like it very much. We do turn thermostat down in evening and back up in morning. We have the electric backup shut off because it will come on if temp. is 4-5 degrees below set point like it is suppose too. If we are going to be gone for a few days we turn it back on. Have no trouble heating 1800 sq.ft. no matter how cold it is. All electric 2-50 gal water heaters; dryer;refrig;freezer;dishwasher;2 computers plus tv's. It runs in winter about 250 a month. Hope this helps..Ken UP of Michigan

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I sell Carrier, but there are alot of good ones out there. The reason most contractors don't like Goodman products is the reason being they will sell to about any flyby night outfit that wants to buy them, I am not saying that if someone sells Goodman they are fly by night at all though.

Don't over size the unit by more than 10% with new high eff ratings, we are having a problem with de-humidification in the summer, cool wet air does not feel cool, and can cause mold problems.

A heat pump is more eff than electric cooling, as said before when it falls below the balance point in your house the electric heat will kick in, but the heatpump will continue to operate at a higher eff than the res heat. One thing about them is that when its cold outside the heat they put out is rather cool, you may only get 80-85 deg air out of the vents, it will heat, but if the vent is hitting someone it will feel cool.

Don't buy just by the warranty, make sure the contractor will be around to cover it, and to work with the Mfg to help get warranty coverage.

So really what you need is a high eff unit that a good contractor will be able to take care of, my preferances are Carrier, Trane, Lennox, Rhuud/Rheem, York those mfg do have pretty good warranty policies

11. mark54

mark54 Member

I have a Carrier 2 fuel heat pump. When the outside temperature drops below 40 degrees, the heat pump shuts off & turns the oil furnace on. The last 2 years I have heated my ranch style home in Pa. with 300 gallons of oil per year. It came with a 10 year parts & labor warranty. This is the 4th year for it. No problems at all. I think it is great.

Mark54 in Lititz

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have two Goodman heatpumps in our house 3 years old to date, no problems. A neighbor of mine just had a major repair on his heat pump Trane---parts covered , labor not no dollars amount known.---I guess its like chvy vs ford if younget a good one you're ok=-----best advice check warranty & installer----Phil

13. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

amana is owned by goodman same product basically. a good contractor is more important than the brand name. get the best one you can find. he will probably also carry one of the top brands. ask your friends and neighbors who they use and go from there. i was a lennox dealer for 33 years and recommend them but its more important to me to get the best dealer. a top quality unit installed by a smuck doesn't last long. make sure a heat loss heat gain calculation is done on your house and by all means DONOT over size it or you will loose efficiency and comfort. jackmitch

14. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

#1 have a qualfied company preform a {Manual J } heat load caculation, we measure the house, windows, doors , insulation value in the home and also what direction the house is facing and how does the sun move around the house, this is very imporant and ask to see the report.

#2 equipment as follows in no specfic order, Trane, Lennox,Carrier,York and make sure it is not the builders grade equipment, and indoor, outdoor, and lineset make sure the duct system is also efficent.

#3 find a {NATE} certafied company, see#1

there are 54 brands of hvac equipment in the Phila. metro area a lot of them will not be around in 5yrs ammana, air ease, fridgeaire etc. see #2

respectfully submitted with my fieid experince starting June 1982 regards Jim.

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

I live in north central Washington and we have a Carrier unit. The heat pump failed after 14 years. The service that replaced the unit recommended changing the thermostat to em. heat when the tempurature dropped below 32 degrees. He said the house would heat faster with the heat coils and would make the heat pump and blower motor last longer as they would not run so much. We have about the same appliance load that Hoot has except the house is 2800 square feet. The nice thing is our electric rates are the lowest in the nation and Dec. through Feb. bills are $120 or less.

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Oletimer,how come your rates are the cheapest in the nation? My p.o.s.state;Ky advertizes as having cheap electricity rates due to our coal--what a damn joke. I have another house in Va. and my bill is lower there than in ky.I'm outta here as soon as possible,ky SUCKS.

17. oletymer

oletymer Member

Comp1, Our electricity is all hydro and owned by the county PUD. No taxes or dividends to investors.

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I purchased a house here in Arkansas 2 years ago. The previous owner had replaced the old heat pump with a new one, about a year prior to my purchase of this house. I note that it is a Frigidaire. Are these any good or are they 2nd rate? Just curious. Thanks. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.