1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Headlight Bulbs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FalconSprint, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Old eyes, need more light at night. Tired of holding the dimmer half way. Any of these new light bulbs worth the bucks? Don't want those blue looking lights. What brand name and model # have you found bright and best? Cost per bulb? Any problems with charging/damaging electrical system by changing bulbs? Thanks in advance. F/S.

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I just installed Sylvania Silstars H1s. They only seem brighter on high beam and they cost me $19.66 each. You can only see so far with a properly adjusted low beam, that seems a fact of life.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Rick,

I was getting ready to ask the very same thing. I have to polish mine about twice a year to keep them shinning good.

ss

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I just put a pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra (9005) bulbs in the high beams of my Ford Edge and am impressed with the difference over the OEM bulbs. The light is white, not blue. The bulbs are only 5 watts stronger than the OEM bulbs (65 v 60) so they won't melt the sockets like some aftermarket bulbs will. They are easy to install. You have to remember to NOT TOUCH the bulb glass with your bare hands or the oils/salts on your fingers will cause the bulb to burn out (clean the bulb with alcohol if you accidentally touch it).

I think they cost me $35 for the pair but that's not important if you want good light.

MK

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Fellows yoy can get your plastic cleaned like new now days. check with your dealer or a good garage and they will do it with new equipment they have now

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Old folks should stay off the road at night!

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ditto on the Sylvania Silver Stars! White light not the 'blue' of the imports and some others. Harbor Freight has a kit to polish the outside lenses if they have dulled/turned yellow. Only about ten bucks and more than enough to polish the lenses many times over. Bill

8. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

06 Focus, garage kept, no problem with the lens covers, crystal clear, well waxed. Has original FoMoCo bulbs now, from China or Mexico, where ever, not sure. Just asking cause I don't want to melt my wires if I change bulbs. Thanks F/S.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

F/S,

You may want to check consumer reports or any other auto evaluating source for headlight complaints. One of my buddies had a Chrysler that was downright dangerous to drive after dark. There was an issue with the headlights and how they were shaped and aimed. The only way of fixing it was to sell the car. It was a bad design.

ss

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I jumped on the band wagon and got some of the silverstars. Yup they worked really well and did put out more light. The only problem is they didn't last for squat. I guess spending that much for lights is ok....except when you have to do it yearly. And not knowing when they were going to burn out.

Rick in Mt.

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Silverstars and Silverstar Ultras are not noted to long lasting. The Ultras are considerably brighter than the regular Silverstars.. Ultras usually cost $40 to $50 a pair.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used the Silvistar also on older vehicles and was very impressed and they are inexpensive at Walmart-

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Bubba

Bubba Member

Silverstar Ultras are great. They often don't last as long, especially if your vehicle has daytime running lights that use the headlights. DRLs don't get the full voltage, and because of that they fail easily. But soooo much better that OE.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

silverstars are definitely the way to go. 20 bucks each at wal mart. my last set lasted 4 years. they don't burn up the wiring or connections. you'll be impressd. hell, if you're not, just return them to wal mart. those blue lights you see are, from the drivers side, really nice too. but hid/xenon requires a lighting system upgrade, not just a bulb change. you'll find the silverstars to be about twice as bright. plus, on low beam, they still illuminate about twice as far and twice as wide as what you're use to now with the oem's. do it and post back! good luck with it

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't like the new extra bright lights. They've gotten ridiculously bright and nearly blind me. Seems like it's a too much testosterone thing. Nobody needs that bright a light.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This thread made me think: If your hot rod car will run at the speed of light, will turning on the headlights do any good? Therefore, just drive faster.

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What about cleaning, or polishing the plastic lens covers, my daughters 2000 Chryslers' lens is all yellowed and looks horrible? I bought a kit with a round spongy disk with some abrasive impregnation, they were useless! Any other ideas?

18. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Good read with some good info. Just replaced the headlights on my LaCrosse and toyed with the idea of going up a couple of notches on lights -- elected to go only one notch above standard equipment. Looks like that turned out to be a good idea. Thanks for another good info thread.

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Frank C,

I use a product from "Bluemagic" that is a metal polishing cream ($4 or $5 from the auto parts store). It's blue in color and does a really nice job. I handrub mine, but one of those powerballs on a drill will work better it the crazing and yellowing is severe.

This product seems to be very similar to "Flitz" that is great for polishing on my guns.

ss

20. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

See above. Do an internet search for many ways for same. Jimmy Borum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.