1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Hat

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'm looking for recommendations on different types of hats people wear while shooting.

I normally wear a ball cap but sometimes I'd like something that offers a little more protection.

2. parrothead

parrothead Member

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I bought one of these this year and I've been happy with it. It's very light in weight, the brim is just stiff enough that it doesn't sag and the crown is a fine mesh that lets the breeze through. I can wear a thin sweat band above my eyebrows if I tip the hat back just a bit.

My Tilley is just too heavy and hot for summer shooting!

Mike

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

+1 for the Tilley

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have a propensity toward basel cell carcinomas, especially in the face. They are the best skin cancer if you must have it. I've religiously worn hats to protect the face, neck, and ears as best as possible. If you ever run into me check the chunk of ear that was taken from me as a result of baseball caps being worn early in my trapshooting experience. Now it's western hats even in the heat of the far western summers....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

I seldom wear a hat but when I do it's a Tilley.

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Find a hat that fits and with a large brim. My hat has a 4 inch rim or brim.

8. lancelot

lancelot Member

I have the lightest of the Tilley hats, and so far, have not found it too hot. But, we have not hit the 100 degree days yet.

The hat Mike mentions looks like a winner. I'm going to order one of those also. At the Mississippi State Shoot there was a shooter wearing some very lightweight, long sleeve, shirts from Bass Pro. I'm going to check them out also.

Ron

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What's a Tilley hat?

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The "Tilley" hat...
    <center>[​IMG]</IMG></center>

It's a high-end hat (over $70) invented by a guy named Alex Tilley and the thing has sort of a cult following; it floats if you lose it in the water. It also has a lifetime guarantee against loss...
    <center>[​IMG]</center>

Mike

11. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I had a pith helmet many years ago.

I lotht it.

Now I don't have a helmet to pith in!

12. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

I also ended up with an allergy to the sun. I wear lite colored long sleeved shirts to the match--a good sunscreen recommended by my dermatologist (watch those ones that advertise a 45 or 50 or ?? protection rating] seems as much debate about screens as there are earplugs and a wide brimmed hat. I then have picked up really large bandanas which I soak in water put over my head on goes the hat and tuck the end under my shirts collar. I also found a deal with clips on it that you can attach all around the brim on the rear of the hat--the rather heavy peice of clothe hangs over each ear and goes clear around the head. This also I soak in water--looks like hell but sure keeps the sun off my neck, ears and cheeks.

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I've lately gone to a western style cowboy hat, straw. It's really a good one for the sun. Lightweight and also made so the wind doesn't blow it off. However since it is slightly perforated it also lets rain drops soak thru and the water will streak my glasses therefore I usually keep a baseball style hat without the mesh top in the truck for rainy days. Dan

14. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Of the members with a tilly, which model are you wearing?

I'm looking for something like the LTM8.

Anyone know if a good golf hat would work?

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rico, the golf hats did a fine job for me for a number of years with the only caveat being the filtered sun through the straw mesh tended to distract me shining on the glasses. The felt, western hat is wider brimmed and solid. It will be my final anti-cancer head gear....breakemall....Bob Dodd

16. clayaddict

clayaddict TS Member

I am with Bob Dodd, you need all the protection you can get. I too have had a few basel cell carcinomas on my face. My Stetson Rancher shades my face and neck just right. J Woolsey

17. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

With my recent hair loss, I switched to a Tilley hat and wore it for the first time this weekend in Phoenix. Not the cheapest hat you can buy but worth every cent I paid. From now on I may wear a ball cap before shooting but when I'm on the field I'll be wearing a Tilley.

Bama

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When you get the hat, it comes with an Owner’s Manual. LOL Besides telling you how to care for your Tilley hat, it gives you some interesting stories from customers. My favorite is about an elephant eating the hat (several times) off the head of the trainer. After it, uh, passes, the trainer picks up the hat and gives it a good wash. Can’t tell where it has been.

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I also have a Tilley hat. I bought it for rain but it is great for both rain and sun..

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just wear a "baseball" cap.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.