1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Has anyone hunted hogs? TX. MS. OK. ect.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rookie tim, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookie tim

rookie tim TS Member

A hunting buddy and I have been thinking about doing a hog hunt. Have any of you ever gone on one of these hunts? The only hogs we have here in Iowa are all in confinements (not very sporting). We are looking for somewhere to go that is realitively in exspensive. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences on one of these hunts?

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I have Hunted Hogs several times in Texas.
    Contact "Boarcreek.com" or "martinranch.com" for details.

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

try www.wildhoghunttexas.com. quite interesting offer. jm

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Want to have a blast check the website above.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My two bowhunting nephews had a great time at Nugent's Sunrize place in Michigan. I thought six hundred for a day's hunt was borderline high but they had a ball and got a hog each.

6. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Georgia has excellent hog hunts.

7. TC

TC TS Member

A little off topic but need to ask. What is the best shot placement for a hog? Dad always went behind the ear if I remember right.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I like Florida! Lots of hogs and no season if your on private property they are considered vermin.

.223 FMJ to head or behind ear. The reason for the head shot is to conserve the meat. the reason for a heart lung shot on game is to preserve a trophy head.

Joe goldberg

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Best placement is behind shoulder with animal quartering away. Thick plate of gristle across shoulders restricts penetration on 90 degree or frontal shots. Behind the ear if you are that good.

Brother shot one three times with a 92 winchester in 357 right at shoulder and all expanded and penetrated not quite to the vitals. Buddy shot one last year into that plate with a 70 pound bow and rage broadheads and just got about five inches into the chest.

Again, quartering away, aiming low chest at the opposite shoulder from your angle of attack.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is a connection -- West Point Classmate of mine

Contact him direct-- he just sent me a picture of one of the largest kills I have ever seen that they took 2 weeks ago with dogs. It barely fit in the bed of a pickup-- talking about a porker

It comes with accommodations and a two night hog hunt is $1200.

Bruce L Frasier
    President
    Dixondale Farms, Inc
    830.876.2430, ext 11
    cell 830.876.8449

11. JimBailey

JimBailey Member

Hello from Denver!

Jim Bailey here. My brother and I killed hogs and Havelina in Texas at;

http://www.herraduraranch.com

I personally killed a 450 lb. boar at 2 a.m. with a Kimber SuperAmerica in .221 Fireball! Bullet placement? Right behind the ear at 100 yards (he went down like he was struck by lightening!!!) The Mexicans thought I didn't have a big enough gun!! Size is no substitute for accuracy!!! They must have hunted with someone that shoots their game in the ass, then they have to go run it down and kill it!!

Great people, great accommodations, price was right. I highly recommend the quail hunting also.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.