Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

O/T Handloads for .22 Hornet

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  T/C 
#1 ·
Rather than bring back my old thread, I'll start new. I'll be shooting a new Savage Mod. 40 heavy bbl., single shot, in .22 Hornet, twist is 1-14". I have both Rem. and Hornady brass available now. I'll buy bulk brass if others feel one is better than another. Will be using Lee Collet dies, neck sized only. I understand that Litl' Gun powder is one of the best. Some suggested pistol primers, however I could not locate a load, calling for this useage. Being a single shot, I can set bullet depth to whatever the gun likes best. If you would care to share your special load, it could save me a lot of trial and error. Bullet type,weight,brand, primer type and
brand, powder brand and weight used, anything you wish to contribute. Thanks in advance, T.

#2 ·
First, 22 Hornet brass is very thin and it will not take much pressure. If you over load it, it will expand the back of the case and or blow the primer pocket out so you cannot use it again...

What I have found to work, is use small pistol primers to work up a load as they are softer and show pressure quicker, then switch to rifle primers. If you use rifle primers by the time you spot pressure signs you have already ruined the case..

I have been loading the Hornet for 20+ years....

My favorite load: 13.5 grs of Accurate 1680
37 gr Calhoon HP
brass: any
Velocity: 2625-2675

This is the load I am currently shooting and on a good day it will do a 1/2 min group...

Again, not to be over cautious, but work up to that load and watch for pressure signs

Al

#3 ·
Here is my favorite .22 Hornet load:

Remington brass; Rem 6 1/2 primer; 40 gr Speer sp bullet; 13 gr of Hogdon 'Lil Gun powder for 2826 fps at 28,400 CUP pressure. Hogdon lists this as the maximum load. This is a good, accurate low pressure load. I shoot this in my Model 43 Winchester rifle which is notorious for headspace problems due to a weak bolt design ( basically a beefed up rimfire bolt ). The 'Lil Gun powder is great for low pressure loads, plus you can use it in your .410.

22hornet

#4 ·
Thanks for your information on the loading. At the range today, I found that the factory Winchester, 46 grain H.P. would cut a 3/4" group @ 100 yards. At 200 yards, it dropped 7" but still held a 2" group. I don't know if I could handload any better than that, even if I could I don't know that I could shoot much tighter. Also tried the Hornady 35 grain V-max. That factory load did not group as well, seemed to be a very hot load, and some empties stuck in the chamber, very hard to extract. Tomorrow, off to find some ground pigs, for the real test. T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.