1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Handgun advice wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Not trapshooting related, but I'm hoping to get some good input here.

A good friend of my wife's has wanted to learn to shoot and purchase a handgun for home protection. Over the past few months, Ive taken her and her husband to our range and allowed them to try a variety of guns - Glock, 1911, H&K, Ruger, a Lady Smith revolver, etc.

Here is the dilemma. She has very small hands and when trying to grip any weapon so far, she cannot seat the pistol firmly in her right hand with finger on the trigger AND the butt of the grip on the heel of her hand. She shot my HK P30 today and did pretty well with it after I used the smallest backstrap and side panels. Even then, her grip isn't as firm as I'd like it to be. We may try the Glock Gen 4 as it also has an adjustable grip.

So, has anyone had a similar experience trying to find a handgun for a lady with small hands ? The Lady Smith comes closest to fitting her, but she is partial to a semi-auto.

Thanks in advance.

Gene in Illinois

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Is a Sig 238 too big for her?

I'd still recommend she start with a .22 to develop marksmanship, and work her way up to a centerfire, though. JMO. Think about how long it takes most people to develop decent newbie handgun marksmanship, with steady practice. I think 6 months to a year is the absolute minimum, and that's with somebody who's unusually committed and is willing to hit the range at least once, twice a week.

Sorry, didn't mean to steer off on a tangent. You're trying to do a good thing here. I just like to see people get off to a good start. People don't expect to register for a half-marathon with no running experience, and yet every week, it amazes me that I see people trying to start new female learners on centerfire guns, right off the bat...and the amount of time investment involved to become a proficient handgun marksman starting from "zero" is usually about the same. (There's no shortage of few-week newbie courses that will take peoples' money and crank out graduates, but that doesn't mean they're ready in 3 weeks).

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

buzz-gun:
    You're not off base at all.
    In fact, at the range today, a friend showed me his new Beretta semi auto 22. Reminded me a little of a Browning. Anyway, he offered to let my lady friend try it and she did and liked it.
    Getting used to good gun control is a key.

Gene in Illinois

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Gene,

Those little Berettas are cool guns. And, best part is....they come in .25 and .32 versions that have similar operating characteristics, if she's very small-handed & wants to graduate to something a little more.

Not an ideal defense gun...but it's an option, if her hand situation is less than ideal also. The important thing is something she enjoys shooting, because she needs to do a lot of that if she's going to develop proficiency. Big Bangs that cost $.50 a shot have probably turned more newbies off handgun shooting in the first year than we will ever know.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Try a Smith "J" frame with stock grips. Recoil may be an issue, so use wadcutters. My carry wheelgun is a Smith 640, all steel 357. This little rocket can run a plate rack. The little Smiths are very accurate in the hands of an experienced shooter. They also have less distance between back strap and trigger than most any other handgun.

Limited hand strength can be corrected by using a Gripmaster. These are available at many sporting goods stores, or Amazon.

A 22, 25, or 32 is not likely to quickly stop a determined attacker unless a precision shot is made. I hesitate to recommend a 380, but is DOES beat a rock (barely).

She must shoot and practice with any carry arm to be able to hit with it.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

How about Glock 26, or similar sized guns? Also, single stack guns like Para Ordnance Carry 9 and Slim Hawg have thinner grips. Might still be too big for really small hands.

Danny

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For a woman with small hands, she may not be able to rack an auto loader, also a S&W j frame may be too much for her in DA. I was told the Ruger LCR may be a better choice. My wife uses a S&W 317, with Aguila Hyper max-yeah its a 22 lr, but there are 8 of them & they are rated @ 204 ft. lbs. And a big plus is the Crimson Trace.

Phil Berkowitz

8. oz

oz Active Member

the lady smith did not work for her? was it a J-frame. Women like revolvers so they can open it and see what is up. If you need real small try a beretta nano.

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Go with revolver simplest to use, if there is a malfunction it's eaiser than an auto. just my $.02

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Glock Gen 4 or M&P. Both have adjustment straps. Best shot may be the M&P Shield if you can find one.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The OP said the pistol was to be for home defense and not necessarily a CCW piece. With that in mind how about moving up in the 'easy to shoot' category a bit and trying a K frame 4" .38 special revolver. Something like a S&W M10 or M15. Then as a companion training piece get a k or J frame six shot .22 revolver. Develop the shooting skills with the .22 throwing a cylinder full of .38s in from the defense gun as appropriate.

As far as hand size goes, the small wood grips that typically come with these revolvers is just about right.

12. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Beretta Model 21? It is a 22lr auto that is small enough to fit your friend's hand. She can shoot thousands of practice rounds with this gun and have lots of fun doing it. She can become so good that proper shot placement will not be an issue in the unlikely event of a shooting. FWIW. JM

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I know a lady who has one of these LC 9's that she is very happy with.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rick...will they let me wear that holstered in the open at the skeet range?

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Lots of food for thought. This site is a wealth of info, as I thought. Our plan is to visit a nearby store with a large inventory and I will take all the suggestions here with me.

Thx. Keep them coming.

Gene in Illinois

16. willing

willing Member

Don't ignore one of those tip-up semi-auto by Beretta
    and Taurus. Don't need to pull the slide.

Bill

17. rw993

rw993 Active Member

WALTHER PPK

18. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

If you want to teach marksmanship, do it with an air pistol in your basement or any place where to have 25 or 33 feet.

The worst looking air pistol but the most accurate fir the money is the Daisy 747. It's a single stroke pneumatic. Also when you first handle it, even if to have to hold it with two hands, do it.

It a short time, like several evening for a half hour or two, you'll get on to it.

Then go look around for a "pink" handle .22 pistol. After you had it for a while and have travel back and forth to the range to shoot it, check an see what you are shooting the most, the air pistol or the .22.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree with the revolver guys. Our son bought a small Taurus 9mm semi-auto for his wife several years ago and she doesn't like it because she feels she cannot fully comprehend how it works and might panic in a crisis. She also feels she may not be able to hold onto the gun in a serious situation because the grip frame is so short. However she has shot some of my revolvers and feels very safe with them. She actually likes shooting a 4" Model 66 with .38 Special loads - and let's face it, the last thing you want to turn loose inside an occupied structure is a high-penetration round like a .357 Magnum. Even a 9mm with full metal cased bullets could be a penetration nightmare.

My daughter-in-law's favorite among my handguns is a 2-1/2" Model 66 as its K-frame round butt with S&W combat stocks on it fits her hand well. But if grip size is a critical issue, I suggest an S&W J-frame revolver in .38 Special. Lots of firms make custom stocks for S&W revolvers and I'm sure Ahrends or any of the others could make smaller stocks with or without finger grooves for your friend's wife.

Ed

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I know some women that shoot Bersa's and they love them, but the Kel-Tec is also a pretty good small gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.