1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Hand Held Radios - 25 mile - O/T

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by abacus, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abacus

abacus TS Member

Have a 12 mile rated Cobra, works ok up to about 5 miles, but has to be a almost totally unabstructed transmission. will not go thru or over hills, trees ETC if you are transmiting or receiving over 1 mile.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Friend had a set and we tried them. Five miles on uneven terrain is about tops, line of sight would be much better. We got fairly good reception on the highway at 10 miles. The band/channels you use do require you to have a license (as though all who buy these take the time and trouble to get a license...just like the old CB days). They are way better than my old Cobra 2 milers.

3. steele

steele TS Member

I needed a couple of extra radios to go hunting in Colorado several weeks ago, I bought two of the newer 17 mile Motorola radios to use with my older 5 mile Motorola radios. The new didn't work as well as the older ones. I was in the mountains and there were several times they wouldn't work 1 mile in the wooded areas. When I got home, I returned them to Gander Mtn. I contacted Motorola about them & I was told I probably wasn't using them as they were intended???

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try VHF marine handheld. They work a lot better.

5. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

if you ever read the package, radios are tested on the ocean, no terrain long milage, but put i few trees in the way and that mileage shrinks