1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Had cataract surgery today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I had cataract removal /lens replacement surgery today on my left eye. I had my right eye done 13 years ago and had forgotten how this all goes. My recollection of the 1999 procedure is that I was put to sleep. Not so for this one - I was awake throughout the whole thing. Frankly, I'd prefer to be asleep.

The Dr took a little longer than he'd have liked because the cataract was very dense. My Dr is very experienced doing these (> 30,000 procedures). Tonight, my eye looks like I was in a fight, it's watering a little, some dull pain and vision is very blurry.

After I got home, I fell asleep for over an hour. About 5:30 my cell phone rang but I didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the number. Turns out it was my eye surgeon - NOT a nurse - but the Dr himself. He left a voice mail saying he just wanted to see how I was doing. When I see him tomorrow, I'll tell him how impressive that is these days.

After the surgery, the Dr said all went well so I hope this helps me improve my shooting next Spring. I'll ask the Dr. when I can shoot again, but am not real concerned - the weather here is changing by the day and getting too cold for me to be on the trap line.

Gene in Illinois

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

God Bless you Gene.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Glad it's turning out well and thanks for posting that. My wife is facing cataract surgery and she's only 52. Dunno if she will be awake or not for it. I'd have to be asleep. I get paranoid about anything getting near my eyes. Don't know how she feels, we didn't know this could be done while you are awake.

And yeah, it's rare for a doctor to do that. My late father-in-law always called or visited his patients to follow up.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Brian:
    If your wife has a choice, I'd prefer the 'asleep' method.

I'm not claustrophobic but I have to say that today I felt as though I was. I had a few moments when I wanted to say "Stop" - time for a break.

Gene in Illinois

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Glad you got through it Gene...hoping you have the best possible results for getting back out on the trapfield!!

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

I agree...I don't know that I'd want to be all the way under, but if I know what's going on in detail, then that's "too much information" for me.

I think I'd rather watch myself be cut open than what you had done.

7. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

You will be amazed at how sharp the colors will be tomorrow

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Good news Gene, had both eyes done this last summer the recovery time is quick glad it went well for you.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wife had it last Tues., take your drops as directed, its a pussy cat-you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Good Luck

Phil Berkowitz

10. willing

willing Member

For anyone interested there's a u-tube that shows every step. Glad I watched it AFTER I had it done.

Bill

11. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Saw the Dr today for the post-op check. He told me that on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the densest, most vision impairing), my cataract was a 10+. That's why he was 'in there' rummaging around for so long, for which he apologized.

All looked OK, he said. Vision in the eye is still blurry but will get better each day. Reason for the blurriness is that the cornea's cells are swollen from the surgery. As they heal, the vision gets better.

The lens is a standard plano implant.

Another check in 2 weeks.

Thx for all the well wishes.

Gene in Illinois

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are doing well. How do you decide which lens to get? HMB

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Be very religious about the drops, at this stage an infection wdould be a disaster.

I wore the shades for a day or 2 and avoided bright lighting for a week. Went back to shooting in 2 weeks.

Fantastic. No more teeny targets shrunk up by the minus correction i had for myopia for 50 years.

HM

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had my left eye done last year. I was under during the procedure.
    Never felt a thing and was back shooting 7 days later. I see the
    target much better now.

16. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Had both of mine done few years ago. Plano lens and glad I chose
    them. Know folks who had the variable and have not been too
    successful. My eye doctor said plano best if want to see detail.
    Use reading glasses for close small reading. Targets lot sharper -
    can almost see the groves.

Doyal

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had both my eyes done in the last few weeks. Truly an amazing difference in clarity and color. I though my big screen TV (57") was going bad before I had the surgery. Now, well it's so clear, and the colors---WOW, I won't be buying another for a long while.

18. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Best I ever had done. You will love it.

19. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I had a plano lens put in for a reason.

I have NO central vision in my left eye (the one operated on). Been this way since birth. Peripheral vision is all I have ever had in the left eye and I have learned to adapt. Fortunately I am right handed and right eye dominant. Any kind of corrective lens in the left eye would be largely useless.

Lack of central vision plays havoc with depth perception and my golf game suffered accordingly. Fortunately, I have, over time, learned to adapt to shooting trap, effectively with one eye.

Vision is still blurry today, but no worries. All that 'rummaging' caused the cornea cells to swell up and they will heal over time.

Yes, I am taking the drops as directed.

Gene in Illinois

20. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Gene - like you I have only a bit of peripheral vision in my left eye -- actually only the far left side and the top left corner -- just enough to screw up high 2 on the skeet fields.

I'll be having my done after the 1st of the year and I can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.