1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Gun Safe Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I have an American Eagle by Cannon safe. I normally open my safe at least 2 times a day and some days much more than that.

Recently I've noticed that I have to input the combo 2, 3, and even 4 times before the safe will open, no it's not operator error.

Anyone ever experience this with their safe? Is this something I need to have someone check? If so who? local locksmith?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

My safes all have dials, but if it is an electronic lock, I would bet on the battery. If not battery, I would contact manufacturer. You don't want to get locked out - that is real expensive.

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I have a Browning safe with a Sergeant and Greenleaf lock. It is about 20 years old. After I moved, I had to try 3 or 4 times in order to open the safe. A locksmith came in, re-set the combination to the original and charged me about $90. to do it. He told me that if the safe is jostled, as in moving, that the tumblers can get upset. Likewise, if the safe is not absolutely level on all four corners the tumblers can get out of whack and will need to be reset.

My safe opens on the first try now after the locksmith work. It would have been much more expensive if it was unable to be opened. The price I mentioned might be high, since I live in a high cost of living area. You might get it done cheaper where you live.

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

After I had a panic attack and embarrassed myself on this site, I learned to change the battery. It can make the lock do funny things.

JON

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe Schmo, from what I've read about safe dials, spinning them is a no-no. A granddaughter playing with mine cost me a hundred bucks to have the locksmith re-set my numbers. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.