1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T GPS QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by noknock1, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I use a Garmin Street pilot C530 for work. It is work supplied and is about 3 years old. Lots of new streets and additions, business closings and new business openings that are not in my GPS.

So I've been researching the updated 2008 map software for the Garmin Streetpilot GPS'.

From what I have read it seems that people who own a couple GPS Streetpilots (whatever model) can only use one purchased 2008 map software update copy for one computer, meaning that if one has 3 Garmin GPS units, then that one person has to purchase 3 different map updates at anywhere from $50.00 up.

So I want to buy two GPS units for my two vehicles and was considering getting a garmin since I am familar with it and also the C550 in order that I could just buy one 2008 map software CD to update all three since my work is too cheap to update my 3 year old GPS.

Well since that I have no desire to buy three copies of an updated mapsoftware program I am finally to my question. . . .

does anyone own multiple GPS units for the car (not handheld hunting GPS units) that has purchased one updated map software program that was loaded on all units?

I see all these other brands like the TomTom, Magellian, etc. and have never used any of them.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Do not get even one 2008 update. It is worthless. I got one for my 3 year old Garmin Streetpilot I5. I thought it would pick up many of the obsolete routes that were on my unit when I bought it in 2005. It didn't change any of them. I have heard other similar complaints, and if you Google the subject, I'll bet you hear a bunch more. I was totally P.O.'d that I spent $ 75 for the supposed update.

That is not to say I haven't been happy with the unit, and if I were buying a unit today, I would get another Garmin. I just think I got snookered on the update.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

How true, I have read that there are a lot of people not happy with the 2008 update, let alone having to pay for multiple updates for one household.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

garmin is probably the best of the units. The garmin people told me they USED to allow two units with one update if they were registered to thatsame person. They changed that this year. They also told me to get an update every three to 4 years and not every year. Remember they are always one year behind. Call garmin service. They are really nice and really helpful motordoc

5. B V

B V TS Member

I have a Magellan Roadmate 300 that they do not offer an update for. They offer a tradein for a newer model at a higher price than you would pay for the newer model at a store.

Do some looking at the owners remarks on the web before you buy.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

thanks for the answers, Kind of seems like a bummer with the Magellan deal . . are they super cheap or are they a complete rip off seeing as how in 3 or 4 years you will need a new one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.