1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Got Cicadas? I do. Look at these.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

The worst is over now, but this is what we has last month. Cicadas by the millions. I raked up around the base of 6 trees and got a wheelbarrow full. So far have collected 3 wheelbarrows, but that will be the end of it, I hope. Porter County, Indiana.
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Any crop or vegetation damage?

When we were kids, we would tie a long thread around their heads, and fly them around in circles.

Anything for fun!

Danny

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I remember the locusts when I was a small boy staying with my grandparents and they weren't quite like the cicadas. Those are almost like the plagues of the bible aren't they? I'll bet he robins are fat in your area. :) Dan

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I remember locusts when I was a kid growing up in Illinois. Could be I was younger but those things look a bunch smaller to me. Do we have locusts and Cicadas? The locusts would hatch out of the little shells that looked like the creature from the movie "Alien" they would be all white and then like magic they would change color right before your eyes. Am I the only person who remembers them this way???? Jeff

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Cicadas, we've got em and as mentioned by someone above my dog loves them. Me I just get to clean them up. Next will be a bumper crop of acorns and leaves OMG. The upside is a rarley turn on the A/C and little to no watering of the lawn. Elmhurst, IL about 12 miles west of Chicago

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

In the mid 70's in south central PA, we had a large cicada hatch. My brother decided to pull one on our dad. He came rushing into the house and exclaimed that the bass were going nuts on the cicadas out at the lake. Well shoot, let's load up the boat and go! They got to the lake, launched the boat, and sure enough, fish were rolling everywhere! The old man could barely contain himself. First cast...boom... big fish on! A nice, big carp! Brother almost fell out of the boat laughing! Dad was a good sport, and he loved to fish; so he didn't mind catching a few carp. I wish he was still here to go fishing with us...Dave W.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

One question.

Grilled or Fried?

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

No, lightly sauteed in butter, and then thrown on vanilla ice cream under a layer of hot fudge!

9. new loader

new loader Member

These are different than locusts, scientifically speaking. Locusts are more like grasshoppers. These do in fact come out as a white nymph, then morph into adult in just a few minutes. Worse than these, though, are the seagulls that follow them. They swarm like gnats and it is impossible to be outside when they are around. They crap on everything. They roost on the roof and make a mess up there. Believe it or not, I'd rather have the bugs than the birds.

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Cicadas are edible by humans but only appear in large quantities every 17 years or so. They lay their eggs in tree bark.

Fish, especially Largemouth Bass, know them and love them. A friend's son had a field day with a small black top water plug in small farm ponds during our last "cycle" in Kentucky.

11. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Not much of a case for intelligent design.

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As said, Cicadas are not the same species as locust and, in fact, do not feed at all in their adult stage...the adult stage is just for breeding then they die. In the previous stage, they crawl down from the tree where their egg was laid and spend the next 17 years (or 7...there are different cycles, maybe more than just the two) living off of sap from the tree roots.

They are, in fact, a protein bonaza to wild life...but I just will not eat bugs.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Thanks new loader, I thought I was losing my mind. I suppose I could have ( and should have) looked it up myself. Jeff

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pregnant female cicadas are the most nutritious because they carry up to 400 high-protein eggs. All cicadas have a good balance of vitamins and are low in fat.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmm....NOT....lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.