1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Goodman Heat pumps?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ajax, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How does the Goodman brand compare to the others?

Thanks,
    Ajax

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have had one for 4 years with no issues. Oh it did blow a starter capacitor once but it was under warranty. It has cut my electric bill by a third over my old electric heat. I like it.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

HD,

The place where I live put in all new Goodmans about 4 years ago. 3 months after the install mine and some others had the starting cap problem. Repair guy said the Goodmans are contractor grade, not the best choice but they are cheaper than any other brands. You get what you pay for.

Eric

4. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

mixer is correct, Goodman is a builders grade equipment used mostly in new construction.

HTH,

Scott

If you have any other questions let me know, I do HVAC for a living.

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Although you can purchase the top of the line here is what is most imporant in any HVAC change out.
    Have a heat load caulcation preformed on your space, it will tell how much cooling and heating you need @ specfic temps for your region.
    Let the contractor tell you how he is installing it, hopefully new copper line set,nitrogen used for brazing and leak checking the lines.
    Varifiy the duct work is sized correctly and is in good shape and not leaking or drawing in air.
    Hopefully the contractor or the techinicians start up and correctly identfiy all is good , air flow, refiergereant charge and system operation.
    Call a local equipment distubriator better yet stop in and ask if the have a recomendation because if it doesnt work well these are the people that get dragged into it with the deficent contractor and you.
    Jim Zee

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago you guys helped me out with information on a Heat pump in my older house. With the choices I had and the information I received I had the Trane XL16i Zone system(two level)installed. I realize it's still a newer unit but I've been impressed.

Now I'm building a new home and the contractor said he normally installs Goodman heat pumps, with the Energy Star rating. I had never heard of this brand and needed some recommendation or warnings.

Thanks,
    Ajax

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you have a choice, there are better units to be had.

8. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Every brand has energy star, if you were satisified with your Trane insist on one again, In my opinion they are very good units, but I also agree it how the installer installs the system.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do people normally like goodman heat pumps