1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Going to Washington DC.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Leaving in the morning on a tour to Washington DC. Will visit the Toomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Wall and pay my respects to my hero's who willingly protected me and my family. My first visit and probably my last but look forward to visiting the Smithsonian too. Anything particular I should look for. Will only be gone for a week but hope to enjoy it. Will visit the White House and while I'm there I would be glad to help someone move if you get my drift. I'll feel naked as I have carried for a long time and it will probably bug me the whole trip. Jackie B.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument for photos. WWII Memorial (all accessible via metro train)....

it's Cherry Blossom season now so go by the Tidal Basin near the Jefferson Memorial to check out the cherry trees(can be accessed via metro train easily), Expect a lot of tourists for the cherry blossoms

if you want to see something else outside of DC......

Marine Corp Museum in Quantico, VA but you need to traverse Rt. 95, which can be a pain in the a$$ at anytime of the day and can get severely back up. Check the radio for traffic updates.

NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA

Mt. Vernon to see Washington's House (this is worth the drive IMO)

3. Shooting Jack

Thanks for the info. Hope I can see all of those places. Jackie B.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Arlington National Cemetarty

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Go to the Air and Space museum!!!

See the Lincoln memorial-- there is a special feeling there.

Arnie

6. Shooting Jack

JCL, Gene and Arnie. Thanks and all of those places are on my list. Arnie, in my past career I was able to see the spy satellites built as well as the camera systems but there was a lot that I didn't get to see so I look forward to that. Thanks again. Jackie B.

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

FBI Museum.

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Call your Congressman's office and they will arrange tours for you. I've known folks from our area who have done that. A very nice tour of the Capitol itself.
    If you want, they can also have a flag flown over the Capitol for you.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. cafowler

cafowler Member

Jackie,

There really is too much to see in DC in a week. Some of my favorites and why are below, enjoy yourself;
    - Visit the Willard hotel for lunch. The top floor was one of the presidents houses while in offic, I forget which. The word "lobbyist", some believe the bane of our political system, was started here. Those trying to get special favor of the president would wait all day/night in the lobby of this hotel trying to get access as he came/went for their interests. Beautiful old hotel they don't make 'em any more. It's about a block from white house, across st from Treasury on Pennsylvania towards the Capital.

- There's another place across the street from Treasury which has a restaurant on the top, which looks over Treasury toward white house. Only open in spring/summer, you can expect to see some politico's there power lunching, which is why it isn't advertised to tourists. The POV Bar on top of the W Hotel.
    http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/dining/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=3279&attractionId=1004250496

- The Lincoln memorial at night is very special. Make a trip down there about 10pm, read the emancipation out loud to yourself while looking at the man who wrote it. Very powerful words and emotions indeed. You'll be amazed how many people are there late at night. The WWII Memorial is also awesome at night.

- White House is over rated. Capital tour is much better. The new visitor center should be open, so lots to see/learn there. Any senator/house members office will give you a pass (sticker) to allow you to bypass the lines, and get you straight into the chambers. You can always walk slow on the way out and tag along with a tour of the halls, statues, info in the Capital. Walk across the street from the visitor center when you're done, get a tour of the Library of Congress. Probably the most spectacular building in DC, there's a viewing platform on the 3rd floor.

- The Portrait Gallery is just across the China Place metro stop, which is under the Verizon Center (hockey games). This building has pictures of all those who shaped our country, and the story of their contributions. This was a Union Hospital during the civil war which has been restored and converted to the gallery. Again, a truly moving story of our country in pictures and worth 2-3 hours of walking around. The show the video of Pres George H. saying "I don't like broccoli, I've never like broccoli, my mom couldn't make me eat broccoli, I'm president of the United States and I'M NOT GOING TO EAT BROCCOLI, now get off my case". Makes me laugh every time. There's a McCormick & Schmicks across the street to the west, stop at the bar on your way out for a fresh squeezed screwdriver. Very tasty five o'clock attitude adjustment.

- Get the free ticket to go up in the Washington Monument. Not many realize there's a viewing platform at the top. You can walk down the stairs from the top if you're up to. There's some more history of our country's states that donated man-power and resources to complete the monument. If you get to the ticket kiosk right at 8am when they open, you won't have to wait to long for a ticket, which is time stamped, you just come back shortly before your time.

- The drive down the GW Parkway to Mt Vernon is very nice. The cherry blossoms at tidal pool are over rated if you've ever seen any type of fruit orchard in bloom, skip it, head down to Mt Vernon for the tour and lunch.

- A lot of tours originate at Union Station, which is quite impressive in itself. A tour of the city is a good place to start, and should help you prioritize what you want to do/see the rest of the trip. The Metro is the best way to get around. Trying to drive around the mall and find parking is difficult at best, impossible at worst. The Metro always runs, except after 11pm, found this out the hard way one night.

Hope this helps.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Ride the Metro!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your time is limited so you should probably stay in just the one area, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Smithsonian, Arlington etc.

This area is like Disney World, all well kept and pretty.

The rest of the town is a slum with many ethnics and plenty of crime after dark.

None of the politicos live in DC, they all go to places like Idlewild and Fairfax.

But you will definitely enjoy the historical parts. Wifey went to the Beck Rally last year and enjoyed immensely. As said, Metro is the way to get around.

HM

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The house where Lincoln died is worth a visit, as is the National Zoo.

Just to add to what others have said, The Metro is THE way to get around. Get a pass each day good for all rides all day. Most places you will want to visit are a short walk from a Metro station.

13. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Halfmile "The rest of the town is a slum with many ethnics and plenty of crime after dark." This is rasist and rediculous. Where do you live?

Robert Houston

14. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Jackie B., if you get a chance do the night tour also. The Monuments look fantastic at night. My wife and I enjoyed the "American History Museum", "Natural History Museum", and both "Air and Space Museums". Another great thing is that there is no charge at the Smithsonians. Enjoy.

Joe McGorman
    Kingsville, Ontario, Canada

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Oh yes, the politicians DO live in DC...Georgetown and Adams Morgan, both areas of DC, are inhabited by some that I personally know. McLean and Great Falls, VA is where they really love to live, though. Some also live in Bethesda, MD.

You just want to try to stay away from certain areas of Southeast DC. All cities have areas that are not the prettiest or safest...even here in Kansas. I know that Jackie is not a racist (he is a friend) and will know what to avoid.

And I beg to differ about the Cherry blossoms at the Basin. They are beautiful. I know that Jackie and his wife like scenery, so I recommend it, because you get scenery and monuments wrapped up into one.

It would take you a whole month to see everything in the area, because there are so many things to see...Baltimore harbor, Annapolis, Luray Caverns, Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry, Great Falls...these are in ADDITION to the things that you'll see in downtown DC.

Some great suggestions above. cafowler gave the insider's scoop. You can't go wrong there.

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"The rest of the town is a slum with many ethnics and plenty of crime after dark."

Halfmile, when is the Klan rally being held in your hometown? Do you plan on going with your whole family? LOL

17. Shooting Jack

Cafowler, you were so right as well as several others. We ended up with a tour guide by the name of Bill Thomas. He is a writer and specializes in anything that happens or happened in Washington area. He ran unsuccessfully for a Replublican seat in Maryland a couple of years ago, I liked him immediately and I have never met anyone with so much knowledge. He knew the shortcuts in getting in and around so we were able to cram a lot in a week. I will try to post a few pictures in the upcoming days, one is a marine monument and one is a fairly new Vietnam vets monument. One thing that really amazed me was the number of Vietnamese that were at the wall paying homage to the lost. Many that knew the GI's were getting thier names printed. All and all it was an awsome trip. Jackie B.

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

I think we should all visit Washington at the same time and throw all the bastards out and start again.

19. staynumz

staynumz Member

Washington is a great city to visit. Just learn the Metro, wear good walking shoes and you are set. All the above places were easy to visit and I would also recommend a trip out to the Udvar-Hazy air and space museum.
    Have a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.