1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Girard Perregaux watches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by no5shooter, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

OK, I know this is way off topic. I've seen some discussions here on the subject of 'better' watches so I know there are at least a few of you with some expertise. I'll be the first to admit it's not me.

I have a Girard-Perregaux watch, which I'm told is a good manufacturer. I know I've seen some of their watches advertised with five-figure price tags, so somebody thinks they're pretty good. Mine is really basic, a stainless steel Sea Hawk, seventeen jewels, no bells or whistles. The GP folks in New York want about $600 to go through it, more or less renew it, and I know that's on a par with getting a Rolex serviced. My question is, is the watch itself of that quality? I see similar Sea Hawks and Sea Hawk II's advertised on eBay, selling for between $200 and $500, so what's the advantage in spending that kind of money to get mine serviced by the factory people? And if that's just naive and there are other people who can do the same job for less money, please point me in the right direction.

Any other comments or knowledge you can pass along will be appreciated.
    Jerry Wright

2. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Your probably not going to get a lot of support for your French timepiece on this forum, but, really you have a nice watch there. Only authorized dealers sell new GPs, so they all have their service done at the motherland of US distribution which is in New York. If you really value this piece and want to keep it running forever, sending it to them is the best way to go.

If it is running well and giving you good service, honestly, it might not be worth the expense. But, if you just want to make sure, then have your service done by reputable watch repair.

3. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Thanks, bw. I appreciate your thoughts on this. - Jerry

4. birdshooter

birdshooter TS Member

I believe that you will find that GP is a Swiss watch not a French one. A very fine timepiece with a rich history. See link above.

I also found...
    http://www.p178host.com/gpgallery/seahawk_waffle/index.html
    http://www.thewatchquote.com/Girard-Perregaux-Sea-Hawk-II-Pro-No_4225.htm

Happy Shooting.

birdshooter-

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I have a GP that my Mom gave to my Dad on their 25th wedding anniversary in @ 1970. It's a 18k gold self winder and I sent it off a couple years ago to a watchsmith to have it cleaned and serviced. I'd have to dig to find the company but they did a nice job. The watch looks new and runs fine. email me off forum if you want me to dig. gbatchXX@XXcomcast.net - delete the Xs.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.