1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Gin - Are Premium Brands Worth the Extra Cost

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

In the fall and winter, I like bourbon on the rocks. However, in warm weather, I like to drink a simple gin and tonic. I like my drink mixed half gin and half tonic over ice with a big squeeze of fresh lime juice and a piece of lime.

As to the gin, I like Beefeaters the best but recently tried a bottle of Gordon’s and it tasted very good and it had the desired effect. Given the cost difference between premium gins and regular gins, are the premium gins worth the extra cost?

I don’t particularly care for a martini but I probably haven’t given them a fair try. What is simple, easy to make recipe for a gin martini? I still have some Beefeaters and Bombay Sapphire left.

Ed Ward

2. pdq

pdq Member

Best recipe for a good martini is:
    (a) a clean glass (dirty if a clean one isn't readily available)
    (b) ice
    (c) (optional) a small spash of dry Vermouth if you feel compelled
    (d) Bombay Sapphire Gin, filling glass until it threatens to overflow
    (e) repeat as necessary

Pete

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have found that cheap gins usually have too much juniper berry flavoring.

4. sts1100

sts1100 Member

In my opinion the premium brands are worth the difference, pdq's post brought back a memory of ordering a Martini in a upscale steak bouse before dinner. I ordered a dry martini, he put the gin in the shaker over ice and a few drops of olive juice, picked up the Vermouth bottle poured a little on the floor, shook and served my Martini.

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Try this. I ce in glass or shaker,pour in a small amount of scotch and swirl around, pour off scotch, add Sapphire or for a real treat Raj gin,stir or shake and enjoy.

6. pullll

pullll Member

Premium Gin is usually distilled three of four times. About as pure and refined as possible. One reason for the fainter juniper taste. Some premium gins are 94 proof vs. 80 proof

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Gordons is a good tasting cheap choice. Do try Henricks Cucumber Gin. Not too pricy either.

8. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Tanqueray 10 is high on this guys list. Steve

9. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I think it's like wine drink what your taste buds like. Regardless of cost.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

For my money it is Bombay Sapphire

11. comando

comando Member

Try Bluecoat, its an American Dry Gin,,five times distilled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. You will be hooked for life.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I like Beefeaters Dry in a gin and tonic the Sapphire and other more expensive gins are to sweet. The Gordons leaves an after taste that I don't like.

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Pine cone juice we used to call it.

14. School Teacher

I mixed up three gin and tonics last night using Beefeaters, Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's gin. Each was made with half tonic water and half gin, about 2 ounces of each, with a squeeze of lime juice and a big piece of fresh lime.

I drank the Beefeaters first and it was the best. I got a good buzz and a pleasant feeling from it. The next was the Bombay Sapphire and it was good also but I was a little too blitzed to really appreciate it. I waited a couple of hours and finished the Gordon's gin and tonic right at bedtime. It went down too easy.

I slept very sound all night except that I had to get up to use the bathroom twice. I think that I will stick with Beefeaters.

The Bluecoat gin looks interesting and the Raj gin looks to be a little too expensive for my taste.

I will try and make a martini in a day or so. I plan to use a mixture of 4 parts gin to one part of dry vermouth with a large olive. To leave out the vermouth to me is just like drinking straight gin.

From a little research, gin originated in Holland as a medicine for people with kidney ailments. It does make the kidneys work. Later on, gin was supplied to British naval officers while the enlisted seamen were issued rum.

Thanks for the responses,

Ed Ward

15. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

OK, I'm not a gin drinker, but some of this just sounds silly... I thought juniper berries were just added (along with other spices) into alcohol produced from malt (or other sugar source) before distillation to make gin. Given that, I don't see how multiple distillations would reduce the added flavorings. Multiple distillations will reduce the water content and anything else that has a higher boiling point than ethanol... And you can go a lot higher than 94 proof in terms of purity with simple distillation.

I would wager to say that most premium gin uses a better mix of spices, or a different type of base spirits (e.g., all malt instead of corn or rice sugar). The rest is up to individual tastes.

--Dan

16. School Teacher

Dan:

Gin can be made at higher proofs. For example, British Naval Gin was required to be at least 100 proof because that was the minimum proof that would allow black powder, immersed in gin, to fire. I don't know but I suspect that some flavor is lost at the higher proofs.

Premium gins are made in column stills which are like a series of single or pot stills, one on top of the other. Alcohol vaporizes at a lower boiling point than water. In a column still, the temperature varies at different points in the column to control each individual distillation so that the end product is of desired purity and proof.

The botanicals (a combination of juniper berries, lemon and bitter orange peel, anise, angelica root and seed, orris root, licorice root, cinnamon, almond, cubeb, savory, lime peel, grapefruit peel, dragon eye, saffron, baobab, frankincense, coriander, grains of paradise, nutmeg, cassia bark and probably others) are places in a wire basket through which the vaporized alcohol is passed.

London dry gin may not contain added sugar or colorants; water is the only permitted additive.

(From the Wikipedia)

Ed Ward

17. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Gordon's is my everyday gin, Bombay Sapphire if I'm having a martini instead of mixing.

So to me, no it's not worth it for the premium brands.

18. willing

willing Member

I have a good friend who was a highup executive at Seagrams and he told me to buy the cheapest. All the same except for the added flavoring.

Bill

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If your drinking it with tonic who cares. Kinda like drinking premium scotch with coke. If your drinking it on the rocks now we like the gtood stuff! :)

20. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

As RunGun mentioned - try Hendricks Gin. My adder - try it in a martini with a few blue-cheese stuffed olives and you won't do any other gin - at least in a martini.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.