1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: getting administrator rights for my comp

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i'm trying to install software for my new gps, and it says I can't since i'm not an administrator. I'm the only user of this comp (home desktop), and as far as I know, no administrator has ever even been setup. OS is windows 98 if that helps. Any ideas? this is the first time i've run into this installing ANYTHING on my comp./

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Wow, I'm surprised you can install anything new on W98. I'm equally surprised you're getting Admin messages since that's generally a network, W2000 or higher OS message. You're not home networked, correct?

I do know that when that issue comes up, you can log out and log back in as Administrator and proceed. Maybe a compatibility issue at stake here...don't know. Sorry, I'm not much help, I never used W98.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Check the web site of your GPS manufacturer and make sure their software is compatible with Windoz 98. If it doesn't tell you then call their tech support. If it's a Garmin they are very helpful.

You may have a rude awakening since Win98 isn't supported by much of the newer software.

It just may be time to go to Windows XP. Do not even consider using Vista on an older machine, or any machine for that matter.

4. skeet_man

thanks for the suggestions. I finally found on the page where it listed system compatibility (it was a tiny bubble you had to scroll over), and 98 isn't supported. I did email them, hopefully they have an older software version that'll work on my comp.

I'd love to upgrade, but it seems like every time I try to do anything major w/ a computer (such as a reformat, ect), I loose EVERYTHING and have to start from scratch, and I have way too much as far as documents, emails in outlook, email addresses, links, ect that I can't afford to loose. IDK, maybe i'm doing it wrong. I'll have to see if anyone I know has an xp disk I can try to upgrade my comp.

5. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Your computer may not accept XP, due to system requirements (space, size, etc). There are ways to transfer hard drives rather reasonably that will allow you to upgrade without losing info. If you're worried about doing it yourself (and I can understand), your local computer place can do it and transfer the info right onto a new computer for you. I did this when I went from desktop to laptop - gave them both to my computer guys and they did all the work and I lost nothing.

You really do need to get a new OS installed! Good luck...

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

skeet_man

Watch the sales these days. You can get a new system with XP or Vista preinstalled for well under $500. (I'd prefer XP right now) Even some refurbs for around $200 or less, if you have a monitor. You can then save and transfer all of your old info/data at your leisure. Networking the two systems would make that easy. You could also transfer your data to an external drive before upgrading to XP, but that can sometimes be troublesome, since XP can use the NTFS file system and Window 98 can't. XP sometimes can corrupt drives that have large (over 32Gig) FAT32 partitions, so I'd back up the back up to be sure. It might just be worth buying a newer system, since your older hardware may not be too swift with XP anyway.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

If you are keeping your old computer I have found that the easiest way to keep your data is to buy a new hard drive and do an install of your new operating system (XP) on the new drive. Then take the old hard drive and install it as a slave drive. That way you can pick the data off your drive at your leisure.

You can do the same thing if you but a new computer, keeping your old drive as a slave, although quite possibly the newer computer will only support SATA drives instead of the IDE drive that you now have.

Another easy way is to buy a flash drive that plugs into your old computer's USB port, assuming that it has one, and transfer the data to that. You could also burn a CD or a bunch of floppies to backup your data. Regardless you should back up your data so that shouldn't be an issue.

Skeet man is correct. You can buy an open box or refurbished HP, IBM or Dell from MicroCenter for a really good price. I have seen pretty much state of the art systems for $300 to $400. Check Microcenter.com for their refurbished deals.

Have fun!

8. skeet_man

looks like a refurb or new comp might be the way to go for me. I've only ever owned comps that were free to me, maybe its time to pay the $ and get a good one. Thanks for the advise guys

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

skeet_man

One word on the newer systems. Avoid HP if at all possible. Their support is HORRIBLE! I don't recommend them anymore since the last 20 or so failures to obtain reasonable support for their systems and printers. The user surveys done by a few magazines recently, mirror my claims. HP AND Compaq are now the same company, so what goes for HP probably goes for Compaq as well. They produce lots of systems and their idea of support is that you just buy another one. Unfortunately, a lot of the refurbs and open box units are HP. I wonder why?

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Skeetman.......If you are afraid of losing all of your data that you have accumulated over the years, I have one word for you.

Back up, back up, back up. Put that data on CD's or DVD's and if you do lose it, you'll have it backed up on a disk.

Hauxfan!

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

sheet_man or anybody that might need it.

I bought a custom built computer tower a few years ago for a back up and have not needed it. Would sell for what I gave for it, $250.00. It has Windows XP PRO with SP2 VS2002 installed. It was built by a younger person who later decided to build a gaming computer. It is a black cabinet with black expansion slots at top front and has white CD drive and white CD-RW and white floppy toward top and middle, with silver toward the bottom 7 inches where the USB ports are. I can take a picture if necessary.

It only has 256 MB RAM but worked fine. That is what this one I am now using had but I went ahead and added another 256 RAM stick as they had it for free after rebate. Has a 20 gig hard drive which is small as far as the size used now for music and videos. I have only used 9 GIG of the space on my computer and I have been using it three years and I bought it used at a pawn shop. Is about same age of one selling but only has XP and I gave $350.00 plus tax for it without the Microsoft software installed.

It has a CD drive and a 52X/24X/52X CD-RW drive also.

Has the 3½ floppy drive too if you need one. (I had to add one to mine as my camera uses the floppies.)

Has two extra expansion slots if you ever need them.

Also has two extra USB ports on the front for easy hook up of cameras or jump drives.

Software installed includes:

Microsoft Front Page.

Microsoft Office Tools.

Norton Anti Virus - Corp. Edition.

Quicken 2004.

Microsoft access.

Outlook.

Microsoft Excel.

Microsoft Word.

Microsoft Power Point.

Microsoft Plus!.

May have more but I had this written down.

I set it up for dial up with EV1 internet service but when the quit a little over two years ago I never set it up for People PC which I now use.

I have an external hard drive I use to back mine up on but do not do it as much as I should. I also have a couple of jump drives that I use more and I have my documents and pictures backed up on them.

You can buy a 1 Gig jump drive to use to transfer your files from one computer to the other computer. Just be sure to read on the jump drive that it can be used with windows 98. Some only work with XP or newer. I have some of each. I carry a jump drive in my pocket at all times just in case I might need it.

On XP you can set up who you want to have administrator privileges. Very easy to do. I think you will love XP if you ever try it. Ray .......

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pulll. My desktop running XP suddenly decided I needed to enter a password every time I turn it on right after it downloaded and installed a Microsoft update a year or so ago. I've tried to ditch the password requirement but haven't been able to. I'll try your suggestion.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.