1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Geothermal advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm seriously looking into a geothermal system. I tried to read as much as I can and was kinda setting my sights on a WaterFurnace 7 series close loop vertical air to air in an existing structure. When companies started coming, they all sound good & now I'm more confused than when I started. Anyone with experience? Make, model? Vertical, horizontal? This is for NE Pa. Any suggestions?
    Thank you

2. musky

musky TS Member

I installed vertical geothermal loops for seven years and every one we installed the clients were all very happy. We used the waterfurnace brand on all systems we installed and the service from them is incredible.Either one you decide on(vertical or horizontal) they are both great. I wish i would of installed one in my house before i quit drilling. I would highly recommend these systems to any one. Larry.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

We just got done building. Not sure what you’re getting for quotes but it was just short of outrageous where I live. I heard plenty of phrases like “geo makes a better air conditioner than heater” Make sure you shop and get some type of guarantee. We ended up going with a dual electric and propane boiler and put the house on off-peak rate. Propane by day and electric by night. I think it is buyer beware for Geo......check your payback time, and don't forget your repairs and maintenance on your water furnace will be higher.

GS

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can figure it out-- if you plan on living in a house for any length of time it would be foolish not to go with geothermal

Frankly they should make it a law- would save 1/3 of energy in America buildings by mandating it

You get a Federal tax credit and most utility companies give a direct rebate and reduced energy costs from them if you need electric aumentation in the winter time. You often get state credits

But you have to have the cash for the initial outlay.

I dont think there is a lick of difference now between verticle or horizontal if you have the space. There might be some difference for a pond application and it could save money but the installers dont like to do it.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I have a 2 1/2 ton Goodman heat pump and A/C unit, propane back up, about 5 years old presently hooked up and running. Looks and runs perfect. Is the an after market for it? If so, where? I'd sell it cheap

6. shamrock13

shamrock13 TS Member

shootrman, my husband has been in the HVAC business for over 20 years. We specialize in geothermal and would be more than happy to answer all your questions. If you are interested please contact Rick at Rick's Refrigeration & Heating, Inc. 570-874-3927. We are located in NE PA. Hope to hear from you soon, Thanks Kathy Recla

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Shamrock, thank you for the shout. Depending what part of 570 area code your in, you maybe relatively close. I sent a PM. I'll call later today and thanks again

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Geo's are great, we have one in our house, I have been in the bidness for about 40 years, the one in our house I built, and it paid for itself the first year, but you return will take a few years more

I like the low electric bills, almost free hot water and the warm heat all winter, not the slightly warm air you get when the temps drop outside

Sounds like Shamrock's crew will be able to fix you up

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

There's a lot of good ones out there, installation is causes 95% of the problems, get some one who has been doing it for a while

It isn't rocket science

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Thanks Shamrock. Called and talked to Chris. He's coming out on the 30th at 3pm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.