1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Generator Solution

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by unioncracker, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Realizing this is out of topic, but could use some good advice. Tried researching this on the web and I find a 1.5 hp submersible pump needs 1500 wt. Find this hard to believe. I have a 1.5 hp submersible pump down about 100 ft. The pump is about 150 ft from the power pole using 10ga wire. What type of generator do I need to kick this thing on without trouble. Otherwise will run a rv AC and freezer etc. Don't want to go wrong on this and I know there is a lot of knowleage out there. Thanks.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Why are you using a genrator if you are 150 ft from a power pole? Dig a trench and bury a 10/3UF.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to accomplish. Unless commercial power is not available where you are. I took "power pole" to mean the electric co.
    Jimmy is right, 1 & 1/2 is a lot of muscle in elctic motors.

HM

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Although 1.5 horsepower equates to 1118 watts, each time you start a motor, you get a huge inrush current (for a very short period of time, measured in fractions of a second), as much as 6 to 8 times the normal running current. In that regard, the 1500 watt generator may not be enough.

I agree with the others who posted above. You need to consult someone who knows about such installations.

4. dward

dward Member

Electric motors can vary on how much they draw. It sounds like you have the pump hooked up but want the option of running it with a generator. I would buy or borrow an ammeter and see exactly how much current it draws both starting and running. You will then know exactly what you need.

5. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

The generator is emergency backup for this hurricane country. Sounds like I need to call the well man. Appreciate the input. Now I can ask more intelligent questions.

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

1500 watt divided by 110 volt =13.63 amp

4200 watt divided by 110 volt = 38.8 amp.

My compressor takes about 22 amps to start it and will run on 17 amps.

22 amps X 110 volts = 2420 watt. 2420 watt generator minimum to just start and run the compressor. Of course you want a little reserve also.

38.8 amps X 110 = 4268 watt.

Most likely a 5000 watt from Home Depot will work for you for the pump.

Now the others is another story. You will need to find out the starting amps of both and go from there.

As said above, you need to talk to someone about what you want to run and let them advise you as to what you will need.

I have too small ones. One for my refrigerator or a small window air conditioner. Will not run both at the same time. Then my smaller one to run my central heater fan. I use these with extension cords. Ray

7. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

He probably needs the 1 1/2 horse motor as he is trying to push the water up 100 feet. It takes a good pump to raise water. You will also need the starter relay needed for the pump, plus some kind of pressure switch to shut the pump off once it reaches the desired pressure. I would suggest you call a local electrician to install power for the pump. Especially since power is available. As in one of the previous replies a 5000 watt generator with #8 copper wire would work for a temporary power if you open end the pump. Be sure to check and make sure that you either need or don't need the starter. If you wire it wrong you will end up buying another pump.

Dale Z

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I don't know much about figuring the loads you have but from my experience living in the midwest with blizzards, ice storms and midsummer thunderstorms that knock the power out I use a generator quite often. I have a 5,000 watt generator that will run my 1 horse well pump at 196 ft. At the same time it will run my frig, freezer and several lights in the house. Granted, they don't all run at the same time but it has worked for me for about 8 years. The pump is 220v so it runs off both legs of the unit which I think helps. I hope this helps but I too would talk to an electrician.

Steve

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Put a hand pump on top the well and send the wife outside. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.