1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/T garmin hand held gps ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dickgshot, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The way you retrace your steps is just to reverse your direction on the trail that you left, which is on the screen. Another way is to indicate where you started from as a point and just head for it. Your trail will show if you're going in right direction.

2. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

You start with the "MARK" button. Push it once and give it a name like "HOME" for a starting position. Then go to a spot you are wanting to go and when you get there punch "MARK" again and give it a name. These are called "WAY POINTS".

The little map will give you a guideline to follow to get back to these positions. I'm not familar with the newer models but you can put quite a few waypoints in.

ROUTES are where you enter several WAY POINTS to get to a certain position or take a trip.

MAN OVERBOARD will not let you give that position a name. You have to hit it twice for it to mark too. Don't use it until you figure out the rest or you loose your beer in the woods.

Walk around the block and play with it. Just make sure you can get a signal.

Garmin has the easiest innerface to use. You can get a video to watch from Garmin and be a pro in now time. I think it's $20.00.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

With the Garmin GPS 72, by leaving the unit on you can just use the Map Page and follow your track back. You need a way point to navigate to. So before you set out mark and name your way point that you want to return to. Then latter the GPS will point you that spot. If you know the co-ordinates (latitude and longitude of a place you can set up the way point by inputting the co-ordinates.

4. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

go to the garmin web site and download the complete manual. It will tell you more than you need to know. If you still can't figure it out, ask a 10 year old for help. LOL

5. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

When using my Garmin, I always mark my start as home. Wherever I go from there to the time I want to return to my start point doesn't matter. I go to the menu and press home and it takes me back to the spot where I started.

Go to the spot you want to start into the woods. Make that your home location and then do as above. Works for me...

Gary

6. dward

dward Member

I've hunted elk since 88 and started buying GPSs when they first came out. I've owned 6 different models since then and currently have a Garmin Venture HC. Every year I forget how to use them and end up playing with them a while to get familiarized. You just have to get the book and start pushing all the buttons until you get comfortable.

7. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

doda- That's very inspirational! He'll learn to use it in no time and correctly!

ARMYSGM knows what I'm talking about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.