1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Garage Floor Paint

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joey S., Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Anybody have any experience with the new epoxy based garage floor paints? Which brand did you use? Did you like the results? Is the finish ddurable?
    How hard was the prep work and application? I'm not sure weather I'm trying to decide weather or not to use the paint or a garge floor tile. Any resposnses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe S.

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

From what I have heard,(Sat morning auto shows), prep is everything.

Make sure you have no grease or oil, the cleaner the better.

I believe it was Rust Oleum they were using. Holds up well when put on properly.

Regards.....Gerald

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Did mine two years ago and it is very good . Like stated prep is everything . Also this is not (not) a one man job . No way can one guy keep up two guys is good three better . Not hard but once you start it goes fast and you need to stay in ahead of it to get a nice job . 24 X 32 FLOOR after cleaning and dry 30 minutes is about all the time you have to do it . You will need one guy mixing one guy rolling and one to do the rest (sprinkles) you do not have time to roll and mix

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i used the stuff from u coat it. Works great. I rented a power scrubber and scrubbed with sulfuric acid but be careful about the fumes. It was the ONLY ONE that used the floor wet. All the others want the floor dry and they can't tell you how dry so that was a problem. It has held up well for 6 years. I put the sand in mine but would not do that again as it leaves the floor too rough to mop but it might be a little slippery. They have a web site and sell you a complete kit for the size that you need. About 250 for a 2 car garage. I did it myself and had no problem at all and it does not come up with hot tires. motordoc

5. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I use to sell the product in a home improvement store I worked at. Like others have mentioned, prep is absolutely everything. Take you time and do it right the first time. Seems like everyone likes it once it is done. Customers have mentioned that to keep it looking nice, most are mopping the garage floor every couple of weeks. One major issue is if you live in a hot climate area, use caution. Your hot tires will actually peel the epoxy right off the concrete.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

We used Tenant coatings in the print shop to keep against dust. The floor stripper/prep chemicals are as expensive as the coating. I tried short cutting the prep with cheaper solvents on one section of floor during a machine refurb. It peeled loose in a year, costing a lot more to re work. Good Luck

7. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Anybody have any experience with the rustoleum clear coat product. Thanks, Joe S.

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

We used Tenant coatings in the service departments of our dealerships and they hold up excellent as they get lot of use and abuse. Ding your garage go with ucoastit. Website ucoastit.com Costs little more but great problem and will last. Clean floor with TSP (trisodium phosphate) delute iwth water and does great job and lyou can buy it at lowes, home depot or paint store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.