1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Gander Mt. should be accountable

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wayneo, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If the sales clerk at Gander Mountain thought there was even the slightest chance of a "straw purchase" they should have denied the sale. The woman who purchased those firearms and Gander Mt. should both be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law allows.

Yeah they could have went to another store, but it is time to prosecute the people who supply bad guys and nut cases with guns. JMO.

Wayne

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Wayne,

While I agree that IF the young lady did perform a 'straw purchase' she should be prosecuted to the fullest (she claims the guns were stolen from her...), why would you suggest Gander Mountain has any culpability??

Do we sue car manufacturers/dealers when a drunk kills someone on the road?

Is Mayor Bloomberg going after the Subway/Transit System of NYC for the man who was recently run over by one of the trains (he was pushed onto the tracks by a yet unidentified woman)?

Don't recall anyone suing Boeing after 9/11.

Where do you come up with this stuff??

You obviously have never worked in a gun shop.

Often you may SUSPECT that someone is buying the gun for a third party, but without proof you need to be very careful.

Challenge with questions, etc. - that's OK, but unless you have credible proof that a straw purchase is happening, you open yourself to complaints to the BBB, or worse, a lawsuit for prejudice or profiling if you don't let the sale go through.

Easy for you to spew the words - tough to live by them...

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Then it is not OK for my wife to have bought me a new K-gun for CHRISTmas? Jimmy Borum

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Then it is not OK

Giving a Firearm as a Gift? Some Reminders from NSSF

http://www.nssfblog.com/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

HSLDS, the reason I think Gander has culpability is because he was in the store with her and pick the guns out.

State police James Newell is qouted: "She told the seller of these guns, Gander Mountain in Henrietta, N.Y., that she was to be the true owner and buyer of the guns instead of William Spengler," he said.

In other words Gander had suspicion that the man she was with might end up with the guns. Why would they even ask? Why would she give out his name if he wasn't there?

If there is any suspicion, they should have denied the sale. That is all I'm saying.

Wayne

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Wayne,

I've not seen that info - other than Huff-Post (dubious source at best).

All I've seen is the girl and her mother both claiming that the guns were stolen at some point. No relation to suppling arms to the shooter is mentioned in her claims (other than being neighbors).

Many reference the attorney Hochul, but only as to the potential charges. Not the acknowledgment of her culpability or the trip to Gander Mt.

That being said - how many women who buy guns take a male friend along to help with the selection?? Makes it hard to point a finger at Gander Mt.

Again, lots of conflicting info here - just recall the crap said about the Newton shootings. Still waiting for the truth on that...

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rick,

The video is run with Flash Player - you may need to turn off your pop-up blocker...

All it shows is the police walking the handcuffed young lady from her house to a police car.

No voice over.

8. 548

548 Guest

I would say he stole my guns too, so would you. My word against his and he is dead. Pretty simple.

Personally, I'm not so sure every single firearm transaction shouldn't go through an FFL. Right now the paper trail ends with the first private party to private party sale. I'm guilty too, just sold an XT to a private party.

9. 548

548 Guest

He was a good guy from close by. I get a pretty decent read on people in my line of work, you know what I mean.

I' m just saying, I think some of these things should be a little more uniform federally instead of every state doing their own thing. Every sale going through an FFL adds another layer to the process but doesn't infringe. Seems reasonable to me.

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I visit the Gander Mountain store in Henrietta almost every time I'm in the area to check out the used guns. I got an old nickel steel, mod.12 at a reasonable price there last year. I do know that if you are loking for hand guns, they ask to see your NY pistol permit first!! I was there a while ago and a guy from out of state wanted to look at a pistol and they said no because he did not have the proper permit. I think they are trying to do things the right way, but unfortunately I think they unknowingly sold guns to the wrong person. Gander Mountain has many times donated heavily to the NRA, ATA and Pheasants Forever. That being said, I do most of my gun related purchases at Beikirch's in East Rochester. Larry Evans

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

" State police James Newell is qouted: "She told the seller of these guns, Gander Mountain in Henrietta, N.Y., that she was to be the true owner and buyer of the guns instead of William Spengler," he said.

In other words Gander had suspicion that the man she was with might end up with the guns. Why would they even ask? Why would she give out his name if he wasn't there? "

Wrong. The "told" the seller she was the true owner and buyer of the firearms when she filled out the 4473. You're ASSUMING that she verbally told them that in response to a question posed.

You're reading why to far into what has been reported.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yep, That seems to be the new deal, When some murderous, whack job, coward, goes bat shi$$ crazy, it's got to be someone else's fault.

How about those involved in freeing the animal from prison for killing Grandma with a ball peen hammer.

I'm sure that ticks you off, you risk your life to collar them, others set them free to kill again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.