1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Fuel mileage on 6.7 cumminns ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trobmx14, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trobmx14

trobmx14 TS Member

Looking at buying a new Dodge 2500 4x4 with new 6.7 liter with 3.73 gears interested in fuel mileage ? Thanks in advance

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My neighbors company truck is getting 17.5 empty and 12 loaded down with a lawn service trailer and a 5 man crew ..his is a Megacab

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I have the older cummings and I don't get the good mileage like Calvins neighbor. I do have a friend who just got his new truck "chipped" and he jumped to 23 miles on the road and 18 in town with no problems so far. It's the new Dodge 6.7. Dan

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

All I ever heard were posts of bad mileage from both the Dodge/Cummins 6.7 and the Ford 6.4 Go to the Dodge/Cummins forums and do a search, you will get many responses from owners.

5. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I have an 08 mega cab 4x4 single wheel one-ton. I usually avg about 13-16 in the summer and 12-14 in the winter. Of course I have never had a vehicle get mileage as good as everyone else. I had an 04 quad cab 4x that would get 16-18 all the time. These numbers are after 15k miles, they get worse mileage until they are broken in.

6. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I have an 07 Mega Cab 3500 w the 6.7.....It is without doubt the worst running new vehicle I have ever owned. I am pretty tuned in to how my engines run.(I used to build street racing engines)...this engine hunts, surges, at cruise, and stumbles on take away off idle. You can just feel how choked up this motor is. Additionally, normally you can feel the turbo spin up w the accompanying boost (and even hear the whistle). I do not feel or hear it with this motor. My mileage is around 14.5 on hwy (65-70), 11-12 in town, 8-9 towing my 38ft/15000lb Montana fifth wheel. I have had it in the shop 3 times complaining, never runs any different when I pick it up. They always give me a story the 'computer needed re flashing'...la la la. I am about to run it in again...this time I am going to watch them scope it...and I want to see a boost gauge put on it. As far as chipping, I have a friend that has a Dodge dealership and he stated my truck has a hard drive/memory chip that perm records all parameters of engine operation indefinitely. No more chipping back to stock settings and heading to the dealer for warranty work. Come at them with a big prob...eng/trans/etc...they check parameter history and you are null and void. Sum it up....nice looking truck/eng is a piece of sh##....Jerry P>S. Anybody got any ideas????????????/

7. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I guess I should also add I lifted it, 37x12.50x20 tires, and has 24K miles on it.......Jerry Also I have a friend, Scotty Brawner in SoCal, that has even worse horror stories with this motor.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

As far as a dealer, manufacturer knowing if your truck was aftermarket chipped, Ford could tell for many years now if you tampered with it. I know of a guy who's Chevy Duramax truck was denied warranty work and his PCM was sent away for analysis with his permission. You can blame the government for ever increasing the emission standards on manufactures to the point you need a software engineer to diagnose a problem.

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

You got to know the way to delete the deep memory in the PCM. Usually dump the program and the unhook the batteries and then touch the (unhooked) battery cables together. It deletes it. Oh yea..I heard this in a bar somewhere. Wink, wink....

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the more I hear about the new smog controlled diesels..the more I like my gas V-10

11. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

my 01 got 21 highway the new emissions dropped them way down my uncle had 08 duramax only got 13

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Most of fuel mileage is how and where the vechicle is driven.

I have owned two Chevy/Duramax/Allison 3/4 ton trucks, and 03 and 06. I'm an old racer so I know how to drive and I know how to tune. My 06 was purchased because I didn't want the regenerating system that come on the new trucks.

Both of my trucks get between 18 to 22 mpg empty, and 11.5 to 13 towing my travel trailer,(7,500 lbs). I keep the rpm's below 2,000, if possible, and use a PPE computer re-programmer and have installed boost and exhaust gas temp. guages.

There are diesel sites on the internet that are very helpful, you should check them out. I use Diesel Place, as it's all about the Duramax/Chevy/GMC. In conclusion I would recommend a Duramax/Allison/GMC/Chevy over all others.

Tom Strunk

13. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

www.cumminsforum.com, all you need to know about a dodge cummins, all you have to do is ask them.

14. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Hi Jerry check the exhaust system out. It sounds like you have a collapsed inner wall in one of the exhaust pipes or one of the baffles in the muffler, it has shifted and is resticting the exhaust flow. This would cause what you are feeling and the loss of power and fuel mileage and it would not show as a code problem on the computer.

15. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

as far as duramax goes a friend at my work brother sells chevy he wont sell new truck with allison to someone that plows says they cant handle all the shifting between gears and in 07 or 8 they switched a metal gear out of tranny with plastic thats known to break saw this on trucks on speed they built new truck for wd40 1st thing they did is buy old style tranny and showed why

16. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

08 3500 4x4 6.7 Auto 3:73

Empty 80-85 mph 2000-2150 rpm = 16-19 mpg depending on wind. I can get 20-21 mpg running 65-70 mph. I get around 13-15 intown and towing the boat.

I haven't had any issue and no regens. 16 k miles in 6 months. It's wicked fast off the line and rolling. The 6.7 is a beast. Would love to run it sans emmisions. Those running filter deletes and by passing the ecm are seeing good numbers.

A lot of 07 owners are frustrated. Future emission problems are a concern, and will continue to be since the Politicians boned us with the low sulpher bs (thanks greenies).

Extended idleing is a killer but you can run a regen at will and clean your cats if needed.

Garry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.