1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T. Fuel for a muscle car

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadpair, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair

deadpair Member

My wife and I just purchased a 69 nova ss with a 396 big block motor,we are wondering what other people use for fuel in this old high performace cars. I do not feel comfortable burning unleaded in the 396. Do you use some sort of fuel additive to boost octane and add lead to lubricate the valves? If you do, please let me know what works for you and were we can get it. Thanks in advance for any help and we can not wait to take delivery of our new car
    Ken

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Woo Hoo!

Here comes another 85-post thread of old farts talking about the first car they ever got laid in...

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

I have a 69 chevelle with the original motor rebuilt, runs fine on 87 octane. It really depends on the compression ratio for the grade you need.

Careful driving that in traffic, 396's love to over heat and puke up coolant. Enjoy your car and great choice on the bowtie. -Rich

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The best that I've found is 100LL (100 octane low lead) aviation gas. Mix this 50/50 with premium unleaded gas. You can find the av. gas at your local airport. They won't let you pump it into the car directly so you'll have to take some gas cans.

If that isn't an option, call your local speed shop and find out who sells V.P., Cam 2, etc. race car gas in your are and buy a 55gal drum or two.

ec90t

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I used to have plenty of people come to the airport and by 5 or 10 gallons of AvGas for their track cars.

Don't worry about the LL (low lead) designation with avgas. It still has 6 times the amount of lead that regular leaded gas had.

You could mix a little avgas (about 5:1 or so) in with regualr gas for regular use. It ain't cheap though - plan on about $4 - $4.50/gal for it.

The stuff even smells good.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I was in Munising, Michigan and saw a couple muscle cars fueling up. checked the pump, and there it was, High test Leaded Ethyl gas.

I didn't stop to ask about it as I had to get down the road. Wonder if it's still there?

HM

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Friend has the gasoline distributor in the area, his business supplier, deliver drums of avgas to his garage for his collection of hot collector cars. He also buys traploads by the flat and sells them to his friends at his cost. A true "friend of the working man".

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere I, 2 door sedan with a built 440 that has been bored 060 over and has a stroker kit in it so its probably right at about 477 cubes ... The engine was rebuilt and is running 10:1 compression so I use the 91 Octane which is all we can get out here in the southwest, and it runs fine ... I do not use any octane boosters, though I did have to reset the timing and play with the carb to keep from running a tad to rich which was pushing the temp gauge right to 205-210, now it stays right at 180-190 even in traffic and Arizona temps in the low 100's ... I'm on 5 waiting lists and am waiting for a 426 Hemi which is what the car was when it came out of the factory ... The Hemi won't run like this wedge but has the "WOW" factor when you open the hood at the car shows ... Plain Jane, Shake, Rattle, and Run Mopar to ya ... This is not a race car, its just a toy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Unless tyou're doing sustained full throttle runs, it will run a very long time on ordinary 91 octane unleaded. Just keep an eye on timing and carb adjustment. There are thousands of muscle cars running 91 oct with no problems. Mostly cruising with an occasioinal poke to impress kids, and it'll be fine.

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You can still buy high oct but it will cost you big time. It now is racing fuel. You can also go to the auto store and get a can of oct to add to the gas but you will have to decide which is better. As for the valve sets, that is an important question. If you do not have new valve sets for todays unleaded fuel you will have to either add the lead or have the heads reworked for the unleaded fuel. If you do not and you have the old seats then what will happen is the valves will eat its way in the head and distroy the sets. I have seen that happen and its not pretty.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Oh one more thing. We old farts will take on any rice car with our old time cars any time you young punks want to. And we will show you what a old time car can do.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gargoyle Im sure you wouldnt really put up anything against some of the rice cars. I love all the older muscle cars, but have seen many rice cars that put the hayday muscle cars right back 30 years. model year vs model year you have a point. factory cars lbs/HP ratios ricers have ya beat. All though ricers lack that raw gritty smelly roar of large displcament, those tiny 4 and six cyl can really crank. with equal driving ability most newer hotrods of today will slam those of the past.

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

You need to ask if the seats were replaced with hardened seats. If they were 91 or 93 will run fine. If they have not and you do not feel comftable pumping fuel from a drum in your garage or storing a couple drums of fuel in your garage, then have the heads removed and hardened seats installed. Having the seats replaced will save alot of headaches when you get out somewhere and you need more fuel that is at home in the garage. YAC my motor is 474 and just shy of 15 to 1 compression. It likes 118 octane. It has went 8.82 at 162 and I occasionaly drive it on the street to car shows. I buy fuel from racers who buy drums. Would like to see pictures of yours someday. Don

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

We should be for ever thankful the uros and ricers didnt go for displacement.
    1969 nissan skyline gtr 2.0 160 HP factory. most 8cyl 1969 cars where in that same area. go mid 70 thru 80s and HP really suffered here.

15. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

maclellan1911: I think you are really confused or smoking crack . A 69 318 had 235 horsepower. A 383 had 335. Most american cars even up in the mid to late 70s had more than 160 h.p. In 1979 the " Little Red Express trucks were the fastest production vehicle with 360 c.i. The only thing that makes the 4 cyl and 6 cyl cars fast is turbochargers. Without them they are turds. Slow. And yes alot of v-8 guys out there are putting semi truck size turbos on 500 inch big blocks. I went to a car show in Ohio and seen 3 such engines in one row. But with the cost of everything and the amount of time to work on the car very few are doing it. There are some fast cars out there. No matter how fast yours or someone elses is there is always someone going faster. So enjoy your car as you have it May it be a 76 Pinto, a 69 Nova, or a 2005 Impala. Happy motoring. Don

16. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

maclellan1911, when you say, <i>"that raw gritty smelly roar of large displcament"</i>, do you mean like one of these? The 2008 version will have a 6.1L HEMI that puts out 425 HP. cls

[​IMG]

Oh Yeah, it'll be in the 2008 Challenger too..!

[​IMG]

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Charles,

What will that do that a Corvette won't do? Let alone a Z06! 505hp 198mph Alumminum frame, Carbon Fiber body panels and awesome road handling manors for $70,000! Chrysler only can dream! Hell, the Viper can't even keep pace!

ec90t

18. Charles L. Schmidt

<i>"What will that do that a Corvette won't do?"</i>

Carry five passengers, and five bags of golf clubs? Provide lots of head and leg room while still being able to do donuts on dry pavement?

And I'm afraid you are mistaken in regards to the Viper. The 8.4L V-10 in the 2008 model will have 600 HP and 560 Lb-Ft of torque..!!! It's a purebred race car available from you local Dodge dealer...

I’m afraid Vett owners (P3AT) will soon be suffering from Viper envy again.

[​IMG]

cls

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Charles lets hope they dont ruin the challenger when it "finally comes out"
    Remembering the first charger come back,,,,turned into a four door? I will be shocked if the challenger comes through with those great retro body lines.

20. Charles L. Schmidt

mcalellan1911, you're looking at the production version Challenger. I've never been very keen on the "Retro" thing myself. And I always like the Cuda' better than the Challenger. But this does look pretty good.

And yes the Charger does have 4 doors, but it's one bad-ass 4-door.

cls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.