1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Fuel additives Gas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are there any additives that really work and clean the fuel line, and give better gas milage. My 2003 Blazers mileage dropped from 15.5 to somewhere around 12 mpg. I only have 54,000 miles on it. Bulge.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

IMO, a complete and total waste of money. Have your injectors cleaned professionally with the proper equipement.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tron, I value/respect your opinion. I do know that I've had success with additives on outboards. I'm with Bulger in that my 07 Suburban is falling off significantly at 74,000, although it's better than Bulger's. I'm assuming that injector replace or cleaning would be fairly expensive. Thanks for your help, Bob

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Send me your throttle body and I will methane treat it. No additive can beat my treatment for improved mileage.

Gary

President

PMS (Precision Methane Services)

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

'bulge,

You may want to start with the fuel filter. If it has never been changed now would be a good time. A partialy cloged filter is hard on the electric fuel pump and makes an engine run inefficiently.

ss

6. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

You can loose a lot of fuel economy just by using the wrong brand of fuel. Many stations these days are adding too much ( too much being more than the allowed 10%) of ethanol. I was a calibration engineer and one of my projects was to calibrate "flex fuel". As such I has a REAL ethanol sensor on my development vehicles. You would be suprised how many stations I've "found" when filling up off site that had as high as 20% ethanol!!

Also it is important to remember colder weather will bring down fuel economy significantly! As an engine warms up from a "colder" ambient, they run much richer and richer longer than when warm. So when comparing fuel economy, you must keep in mind the time of year ( fuel changes with the seasons) and temperature!

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

One would think a "calibration engineer" specializing in fuels could spell the word ethanol.

-Gary

Methayne Enjineer

8. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

He could if he payed attention!

Now if you would like to talk about fuel control!!

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks for fixing the spelling, Mr. Engineer. Now fix "loose."

-Gary

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

A clean air filter plays a big part in fuel economy. A lot of people forget to change air filters. Larry Evans

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm with Eddie, a little bit in the tank before each fillup...

Jay

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

The fuel additive you used to buy is what this countrys crap gas is today. If your mileage has dropped off that much I would have a compression and leakdown test done. Then coolant temp sender checked to see if it is sending out the correct temp to the computer. Gas mileage between stations can really vary. So find out which one works best for your vehicle. Birdtracker

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    The fellas from Car Talk say anything over 60mph just wastes fuel...know what? They're right! Keep your speed down and steady. It works. AND, you wont be any later than driving 70. I don't know why, but that's also true.
    -powderburn

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Drops in fuel mileage often are due to a faulty O2 sensor(s)...

Others have mentioned good things to check, but the O2 sensors help regulate the amount of fuel fed through the injectors, so if they start to go bad they 'drift' to richer fuel mixtures...

This is rather common on Government Motors vehicles

(FYI - you'll have several of these on your car)

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sea Foam, I use it in all of the vehicles and never have a problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Bulge, seafoam is good to use as preservative for gas that you keep for mowers etc, and it won't hurt to put a can in the gas tank of your chevy. I'd suggest at the current milage, a tune up plugs, wires, and air filter maybe even a fuel filter. The injector cleaning after the tune up if there is no improvement in gas milage. Shouldn't cost more than $75 to $90 to clean the injectors

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bulge,

Heres my email adress,I will reply after i get yours.

CONN.(Sandy)

18. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

Not driving over 60 to save fuel is nonsense...my 4-speed Impala will run in the same gear with the engine turning 1900-2000rpm between 55 and 80 on the highway, even on slight grades. In the flats of the Midwest the instant economy display told me I was getting around 34mpg running 70 or so in a car rated for 29 hwy-mpg. I don't care what "Car Talk" says. Every car is different...maybe staying below 60 works for a Prius or something, but I'm getting sick of being stuck behind people screwing around and driving under the limit to "save fuel". A steady cruise is more efficient than lolly-gagging doing between 35-40 in a 45 zone and riding the brake down the hills, then waiting until you start an ascent to give it gas. If anything those people burn more when they press for more gas while already going uphill causing the transmission to downshift and turn more RPM's.... They also generally have Mass. plates and occasionally Obama stickers..but I digress.

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bulge

Email back at cha.

Conn.

20. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

"Drops in fuel mileage often are due to a faulty O2 sensor(s)...

on Others have mentioned good things to check, but the O2 sensors help regulate the amount of fuel fed through the injectors, so if they start to go bad they 'drift' to richer fuel mixtures... "

Actually in newer vehicles the O2 Sensor will set an OBD II code (either rich or lean) before they will have an effect on fuel economy. As O2 sensors age and degrade they slow down, and have less pretibations. (switches )
    Also with newer vehicles the rear O2 (behind the Catalytic converter) also trims fuel control. As the converter ages the rear O2 Trim may induce a richer mixture ( slightly) to keep the converter efficiency in an acceptable range.
    If a converter is becoming plugged, that too can have an effect on fuel economy.

One other caution is some additives can poison the O2 Sensors. Some air cleaners such as the oil saturated type can also have an effect not only the O2 sensors but the Mass Air Sensor.

Methane, that's a byproduct of Bull $hit isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.