1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Ford question for Tron, maybe?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

anytime the battery runs down a bit, funnythings happen

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I would agree with Tron if it ain't broke don't fix it. Your vehicle has a parastic drain that will with time drain the battery. When you start the engine after some time your charging system may be deleivering a short term voltage spike that is affecting the instrument cluster but nothing to worry about.

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Wait till the battery fails or when it close to it and you will know as it will turn over slow or just click even after having it on a charger.
    I have owned many vehicles that the gauges went high then right back to "normal", nothing to worry about overall.
    The volt gauge is just to let you know its charging, it cant tell you how bad the battery is, just that it has voltage, if its low when you are driving then its not getting charged from the alt.
    If you have a lot of items running off the battery then it would show a drain when not running, if its a big amp draw item like a winch you could see it draw low, then when you start up you would see it make its way back up to its normal spot at about 13.2 volts.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

The voltmeter reads what it sees whether the engine is running or not. It will read @ 12v with the key on and the engine off. It should read @ 14 volts while the engine is running which means it is charging. Also if you have an eight year old battery in this car you need to replace it now or you will be doing it in some dark parking lot when you really don't want to!

Steve

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve!!! You need to have the battery checked out at a shop under a full load test. Charge the battery at your house and make sure it is fully charged when you go. Have them check each cell for a short as well. If all your battery cells fluid level is the same but one cell is lower than the others that one may be shorting out. A bad battery will overwork the alternator for months before the battery fails and can cause the alternator to fail a short time after you replace the battery. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My Focus does the same thing with the gauges. It's normal for some vehicles. I would say, however, that you might want to consider replacing your battery before it makes that decision for you. Hot weather can be bad for a battery as much as cold weather. Eight years? What are you waiting for? If it's a Motorcraft battery, it's gone five years longer than it was designed to. Have your charging system checked by a competent (and honest) technician.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

pay me now or pay me later. I would replace the battery now. life expectence of a good battery is usually about 4 years depending on weather and driving conditions. take the plunge and buy it now before your get stuck BECAUSE it will go bad and it WILL be at the completely wrong time. motordoc

8. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Battery is slowly headed out. Most cars have some parasitic drain. Clocks, leds, alarms all contribute. The battery has an amp/hr rating. It means what it says. This battery will lose 1 amp for 750 hrs etc.. Batteries also drain if not cleaned regulary. Keep the top of the battery clean. The dust on top of the battery actually conducts electricity. Take a digital multimeter set to voltage and put one probe on the positive terminal and with the other probe touch parts of the battery. This is called a voltage drop test. If the reading is over .5 volts your battery needs cleaned. I would replace the battery now to avoid being sol later.

9. front242

front242 Member

I have red top optimas in my F-350 diesel and they're great. Costco has them for a good deal if you have those in your area. Yellow tops will work as well.

Tim
    F242

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Well....Obviously the Motorcraft lasted EIGHT years. Maybe another one????

Just change it already!!!

Steve

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Steve, I didn't wade through the other remarks but I'll give you this: I have a 2001 PSD, 3/4 ton and just last year had one battery not show well when tested during routine service. I decided to replace it but was advised that was OK but the service folks convinced me that I should replace both batteries together so I'd not be back in there in a month or two needing the other battery. Whether that was good salesmanship or not, my point is you've likely gotten good service out of your original battery and it should be considered for replacement. At least have it tested with a heavy load on it....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Everything is OK Ford uses a Gauge Voltage regulator attached to the back of the instrument panel, it regulates the voltage to the gauges, before starting it is operating at 12 volts, upon starting it is operating at 14+ volts, and then it regulates it down to the 12 volt operating level and that is why the gauges are reading high for a few seconds.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.