1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T- For you old guys. How old is Grandpa?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

How old is Grandpa???

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It may just surprise you!

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
    The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' televi! sion
    ' penicillin
    ' polio shots
    ' frozen foods
    ' Xerox
    ' contact lenses
    ' Frisbees and ' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards
    ' laser beams
    'ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose
    ' air conditioners
    dishwashers
    ' clothes dryers
    ' clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air
    ' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir.' And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'
    We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
    We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
    We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
    Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
    Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' 'grass' was mowed,

' 'coke' was a cold drink,

' 'pot' was something your mother cooked in,

' 'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.

' 'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,

' 'chip' meant a piece of wood,

' 'hardware' was found in a hardware store and

' 'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old mans age in mind...you are in for a shock!

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 59 years old

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Sometimes "improvement" is not a good thing. I myself used to be a typewriter repairman, nowadays nobody even knows what a typewriter is even though the keyboard they use each and every day came from one.

Sad state of affairs.

John

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mengwe I don't want to say that what you have said is wrong. I will however post part of Granpa's reply and some other info and you can think about it.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' televi! sion ' penicillin ' polio shots ' frozen foods ' Xerox ' contact lenses ' Frisbees and ' the pill

From a Google search the history of Television

1933 Iowa State University (W9XK) starts broadcasting twice weekly television programs in cooperation with radio station WSUI.

1936 About 200 hundred television sets are in use world-wide.

You should be the judge of the accuracy of the facts

Bob Lawless

4. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Air conditioning was invented in 1902 although it residential sales didn't go much till the 50's.

Gas was .10 in 1930 and .12 in 1940.

and as for instant coffee it was invented in 1901 and became mass produced in 1906.

First ballpoint pen was 1938.

Gramps is a little older than first thought but he is getting older and that memory might be playing tricks....

5. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Mengwe , I enjoyed your post, too bag some people has to throw a wet blanket on something that is suppose to be enertaining.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My Grandma (still living) is nearly 96 (1913), she thought penicillin was around as a teenager - late 20s...?! Interesting thread, but he's got to be 80 or better.

I'm about 50, can only imagine how my grandkids see me? (lol)

Jay

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Don't know about all the rest but penicillin was around in the early 30's at least. All the rest of those things I can relate too:) I must be getting old.Dan

8. ivanhoe

trpshtr2001 you made this statement "I enjoyed your post, too bag some people has to throw a wet blanket on something that is suppose to be enertaining."

The first question asked was "How old is Grandpa???" if you want to entertain me please do. If you would like me to guess how old he is don't give me facts some of which are at least 75 years old(as in 1933 television broadcasts)and then tell me he was born in 1949. Some how it just doesn't seem to fit.

BTW I am so sorry you think I am throwing a wet blanket on the facts.

Bob Lawless

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Bob; Have you heard of a "figure" speech. Lighten, up save your energy for the real things like ATA year and release triggers or 7 1/2 or 8's.

Don

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I am 59 and I remember some of these things when I was really young. I remember Ike, wish he could run for President now, maybe a clone?...Bill

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Penicillin, as we know it, was not widely used until the 1940’s and was not available at all in the 1930’s.

The discovery of penicillin is attributed to Scottish scientist Sir Alexander Fleming in 1928 and the development of penicillin for use as a medicine is attributed to the Australian Nobel Laureate Howard Walter Florey.

On March 14, 1942, John Bumstead and Orvan Hess became the first in the world to successfully treat a patient using penicillin.

The challenge of mass-producing the drug had been daunting. On March 14, 1942 the first patient was treated for streptococcal septicemia with U.S.-made penicillin produced by Merck & Co. Half of the total supply produced at the time was used on that one patient. By June 1942 there was just enough U.S. penicillin available to treat ten patients.

A moldy cantaloupe in a Peoria, Illinois market in 1943 was found to contain the best and highest-quality penicillin after a world-wide search. The discovery of the cantaloupe, and the results of fermentation research on corn-steep liquid at the Northern Regional Research Laboratory at Peoria, Illinois, allowed the USA to produce 2.3 million doses in time for the invasion of Normandy in the spring of 1944.

During World War II, penicillin made a major difference in the number of deaths and amputations caused by infected wounds among Allied forces, saving an estimated 12%–15% of lives.

From the Wikipedia article on Penicillin.

Ed Ward

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In WW2 they started out treating wounded with sulfa drugs, not very good compared to penicillin when it became available.

My doc was a WW2 medic, and that came from him.

HM

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Bob Lawless, Yes TV did begin in the thirtys. I never saw one until the early 50's and my folks never had on until 1954.As far as I am concenred TV never arrived in our area until the early 50's............Roger

14. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Electric typewriters, while not massively used until the 1950's, have been around since the early 20th century. IBM started making them commercially in the 1930's, along with Remington Rand, and Smith-Corona.

Although not consolidated for multiple merchandisers, credit cards have been around since the early 1920's. The were first used for gasoline purchases, but it was the early 1950's before Diners Club became the first popular card.

Dennis

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Their were many of these things that were before my time. I was born in 1947. However many and most was not on the market at that time because the public was not ready for it and later when it hit the market most people could not afford it. I remember when the vhs was very new I bought one for a thousand dollars.At that time gas was 34 cents a gallon. Now if you put things in common sense they weren't in most of our times.

But one thing was and that was common sense and almost everyone had both parents at home who took the time to care for their children. Babysitters was the last resort. I'm now am a greatgrandpa. Dang does time fly. Bill

16. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Well I am in agreement with the original poat, while all the other facts stated may well be true and I am sure they are, I was five years old before I saw my first TV and was seven before my folks bought one, I was 16 before I got my first shot of penicillin, damn near killed me, My Dad called it a Wonder drug, He was a WW2 vet of the south pacific with the 5th Marines, I can remember our first refrigerator and getting rid of the old ice boxes that were made out of some of the nicest oak wood I think I have ever seen, the technology may have been around but manufacturing was not what it is today, Thr first car I remeber my folks having was a Hudson Hornet, Yep I am a grandpa several times over and yep I am getting old, My 2 cents..

Rick

17. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I'll grant mengwe "poetic license" to make a point.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

One would have to be considerably older than being born in 1946 (first baby boomer) to have been born during or after what was stated in most of MENGWE's post. But, I did LOL.

19. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

BCNU - John, I repaired and maintained IBM typewriters full time from 1965 until 1975 and managed a group who did the same until the early 1980's. GWTW

20. ivanhoe

RogerNRA you posted "Yes TV did begin in the thirtys. I never saw one until the early 50's and my folks never had on until 1954.As far as I am concenred TV never arrived in our area until the early 50's" So tell me what is your point are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

If you are disagreeing you should go back and reread the original post it says

"The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' televi! sion ' penicillin '" Now I take that to mean before TV before it was here at all not 16 years after TV was in was first broadcast or 21 years before your folks had one.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.