1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T ?? For Building Foundation Contractors

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

I was walking around the house and spotted these cracks on the four corners of my house.The mortor joints seem to be lined up at the crack? Any ideas?....Ziggy

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12048346483550.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12048346534652.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You have some wall movement. Is it a basement or crawl behind that block? It looks like the grade slopes quite a bit as well. Could be erosion, frost, or simple ground shifting. Any large amounts of water around your site lately?, exposed to exceptional cold? or Large equipment around you property in last 6 months. Something has caused stress on the wall. BTW...yes I'm a contractor.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

From looking at it I can see your house is old . Old houses have cracks live with it . It may be a problem in fiftey years ??

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Looks as if it's an old crack, shows it's been fixed before. Crack is uniform top to bottom so I don't think the walls are separating just some expansion/contraction. Instead of re-grouting the crack, use some good caulk that will seal it and move with the wall. The important part is to keep moisture and critters out of the crack. The problem appears to be an old one, fix it, then keep watching it.

5. arkolaron

arkolaron TS Member

that looks to me like a half block is stacked up along side a whole block if that is the case then it is the mirtor that is brock and by thaking a small grinder with a 4 inch dimond blade you cut the old mortor out and then replace it with new mortor there is realy no structure damage just the failer of the old mortor

6. chessney

chessney TS Member

The concern I have is the chance of the walls spliting apart and falling down. Yes there is water leaks in the basement but like I said before the morter joints seem to line up so the one wall did not sink on one side...Ziggy

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

chessney, can you shoot a shot at ground level of the area and post? Does the house have guttering and if so has it been cleaned recently? What degree of slope from front of house to back of house?

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Listen to Setterman he knows what he is talking about and if I was you I would be talking to him some more. Your choice get the opinions of 20 amateurs or one professional.

Don

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

BIGDON, maybe two!

10. chessney

chessney TS Member

Phesant: I'll go out tommorow and take some pics and post them. I have an issue with the back drain pipe. I feel that's where the water might be leaking in.That would be the left side of pic one..Ziggy

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nuc, I know a good plumber that I shot woth every Friday night for a few years. I had him do some drain cleaning on my daughters house today. Call me if you want info on him or maybe I can bring him over. Unfortunately not a free bee, but honest. Mike.

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

When it cracks in a straight line it is a stress crack that is usually caused because the footings were too small or you have had frost below that moved the foundation. If you were able to see the footing it probably would have a cracking/heave in the same location. Often the backfilling of the foundation was done with a heavy clay soil and if it is wet in the fall and then freezes if it moves everything froze to it may also move.Looks like older style blocks, it probably has been moving each freezing season for years. Glenn

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

glenn has it right those are old hand made concrete block when they put a foundation in back then it wasnt much and in most cases not wide enough there is NO stopping the cracks without stableizing the ground that can get VERY costly such as concrete lifting try to keep water away and clean out old mortar and caulk with a good urethane type caulk rick

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would not be concerned about the wall falling over unless you start to notice some leaning. Usually, the top course of block is connected to the sill plate of the house. That keeps everything tied together. The building appears to be older, and theres probably not reinforcing in the block. All buildings expand and contract. It's normal. You may have some pressure against the wall where the grade is higher, which could be from ground water or other causes. Since it cracked vertically, you have lateral expansion, not compression. If it was compression, the mortar joints would be off line. Is there a possibility that the wall at the lower level was exposed to a lot of water, or had a some odd force against it? Are there interior columns in the basement? Did their foundations freeze? If the interior structure moved in the basement, it could put a lateral force on the rear wall which has no earth against it to fight the movement. Check it out.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

GET OUT NOW ... GET OUT OF THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW ... DO NOT DELAY ... SAVE YOURSELF AND GET OUT NOW ! ! !

not because of anything concerning the foundation but get out and save your sanity and go trap shooting.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Clean it out and fill with foam backer rod, then apply a quality control joint material. Mortar will likely fail again in a few years as the wall made it's own control or expansion joint and some futre movement or sress relief is probable.

O'Shannons Bldg. Resoration inc.

17. chessney

chessney TS Member

Thanks all for the sound advice. I think I will take Shannon's advice with the foam backer and caulk. There has not been any laterial pressure from inside or outside of the second pic's walls. The grade on the oppisite side of the house drops 6ft to 0. My only guess is the foundation dropped ever so slightly and the blocks split..Ziggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.