1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T ? For all the Computer Gurus

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I have a wireless home network set up. Desktop PC is the 'base' PC and we have 3 other users on the net, a Mac laptop, a HP laptop and a Linksys media center extender. My router is the latest Linksys wireless router/switch (WRT300N) with extended range. Everything has been working fine until this past weekend. My son uses the HP laptop and takes it back and forth to college. When we start up his laptop, the machine tells us it's connected (through its Intel wireless adapter) to our wireless network BUT it cannot connect to the Internet using either IE or Firefox. The HP laptop can connect to the other computers on the wireless network but for some reason it won't connect to the Internet. We do not have a firewall running on the HP laptop. I've monkeyed with all the settings I feel comfortable playing with, including renewing the DNS and allowing Windows to try correcting the problem. The network works but I still can't connect to the Internet and am at a loss. I believe all the hardware is working OK, so I'm thinking it's a software issue but don't know where to look. Any ideas from any of our PC gurus here? I hate calling tech support and waiting for an hour to talk to someone in whatever country they are in.

If you'd rather respond and keep it off forum, email me at XXgbatch@comcast.netXX (delete the Xs.)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

Gene,

The first thing I would do is check to make sure the machine is getting a default gateway setting.

To check, pull up a cmd window and run this command "ipconfig/all" (no quotes). You should see the gateway address in the listings. If you see a gateway address next see if you can ping it. (exp "ping 10.0.0.1 or whatever the address listed is)

Is this machines IP addressing set statically or via DHCP? Next thing I would check is to see if someone has manually set a proxy server address within Internet Explorer. To see, launch IE. Go to tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan setttings. If there is an address listed remove it and try.

Also, have you tried doing a repair on your network connection? To do so, go to start>connect to>right click on the wireless connection and select "repair".

Try these things and let me know if one works.

Bill

3. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

My son gets home tomorrow from school. I'll try your suggestions then and let you know.
    Thx
    Gene

4. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

Shoot me an e-mail with the results - remove the xox's.

Good Luck.

Bill

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

If he can communicate with other PC's in your house then he is getting and IP from the router. I would check the communication settings in IE. I'm betting the colledge is using a proxy server and his IE is set for the proxy. You need to go into IE - TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - CONNECTIONS - LAN SETTINGS - and see if the box is checked to use a proxy server, un-checkit if it is. You will probably need to do this each time he comes home from school.

Hawk,

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I used a Linksys router for 6 months and it was doing the same thing. Whenever it was telling me I was connected, but wasn't. I had to physically unplug the power supply to the router and then plug it back in...pain in the A$$!!!

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help a friend of ours. If you have a router are you supposed to disable the Windows XP Firewall or does it matter?? This is a stand alone PC with a recent high speed internet connection.

8. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

If you router is a firewall too (which it probably is), I'd turn off XP's firewall.

Hawk,

9. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Hawk:
    In Int Expl under LAN settings, nothing is checked. No firewall is set on the laptop at all.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

Gene,

Got your e-mail. I've sent you a few other things to try and look at.

Bill

11. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Ok, now for a more complicated test. Every computer and device on a network has an address called and "IP address". You can test via a command line tool called "ping" to see if a computer can at least see another device on the network. Here's what you do: go to a computer that can connect to an internet site like "yahoo.com". From the start menu click on START - RUN- then type in "CMD" and click OK. This will open a command window. Type IPCONFIG /all and hit enter. Right down the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers addresses (like 192.168.0.4). Now type; ping yahoo.com and hit enter. You should get 4 replies with the IP address of Yahoo’s web site; write down that IP address too. Now go to your son's PC and open a command window like you did on the first PC. Type IPCONFIG /ALL, compare the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers to the numbers you wrote down. They should all be identical except the IP address; it should be the same except for the last set of numbers in the octet (like 192.168.0.XX) where XX is the difference. If the number are not identical except for the last octet of the IP then your router is not assigning an IP to your sons PC (review the documentation of your router) If they are the same, type PING (default gateways IP address you wrote down) this is your router, and if you can ping it then the PC is connecting to it. Next PING (the IP of yahoo you wrote down before) and see if you get a reply, if so then The PC is connecting to the internet. Now try PING YAHOO.COM and see if you get a reply. If not, then it is a DNS issue (resolving IP address to website names. I’m fairly sure you will find something else wrong before you get this far. Post back what you find. Sorry to bore the rest of you.

Hawk,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.