1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Folding Knife Opinions Wanted . . . . .

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charles L. Schmidt, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

See link above, no experience with it, just lookin' at one. It might not be beefy enough for what you want though. cls

2. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've had a Spyderco (enduro?? Law Enforcement model )half serrated about a 4" blade. Been a great knife & I've put it through hell. Don't know about dressing a deer or an elk but I don't see it being a problem.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Charles, an interesting knife, but it appears that the blade is not the type that would be too useful for cleaning a fish (or an Elk) maybe a good knife for cutting boxes open, or through rope etc. Certainly not a skinner......
    Can anyone advise what style blade it is and what it is designed for?

4. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Well I saw the word, "Tactical" so I think it may be for personal defense, although a little large for that maybe.

Most all of the knives I've had have had the clip blade shape. Some serrated some not. cls

5. randy-s

randy-s Member

How can you beat a Benchmade? Randy

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Take a look at the SOG knifes. Their assisted opening is fantastic. Great value too. I have bought for myself and gifts from Island Tactical. I have Kershaws and Bucks that I don't like near as well. Would like to carry an Emerson to see how I would like it, but pricy and I think their quick opener is more limited. Mike

7. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

How does one go about putting a really good, long lasting edge on a serrated blade? Thank you

Bill

8. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Bill,

They make sharpeners for serrated blades. But that being said I've cut tires, rope, hose and a bunch of other stuff with my serrated blade and have never sharpened the "serrated" portion of the blade. Maybe not as sharp as when I got it but it still cuts everything I put in front of it.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have a SOG folder, loved it when it was new and sharp, but I'll be damned if I can put a decent edge back on it. The blade is very thick, and hard to get an angle on...not serrated

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have used the same Buck Model 110 folding knife since the early 1970's. It has dressed out many a deer and it sharpens to a razor edge and holds it well.

I have a friend who found a small two and one half inch or so Benchmade some years ago and just loves it.

That said, I would stay with a Benchmade as that is the standard of comparison that you will use to evaluate your next knife. As Randy S says, "How can you beat a Benchmade?"

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've had a lot of good luck with the Ken Onion design Kershaws. Very moderatly priced and extremely durable. The can be had with a half @ half blade or a standard blade.

ec90t

12. SCTPdad

SCTPdad TS Member

Look up Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) online.....I have several of these knives and the quality and price are exceptional. I also own Buck, Spyderco and Kershaw knives, but I really like the features of the CRKT line.

SCTPdad

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Columbia River, Benchmade, Kershaw, etc all make good knives. The main point of interests should be design that fits your needs and steel quality/composition.

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It's a personal thing, they will all do the job, just keep them sharp...

15. parrothead

parrothead Member

I have a couple older Benchmades and an Emerson or two that I would consider parting with if anyone is interested. All are unused, new in the box. If interested email me after fixing the @ in email address. -Dan

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I have Gerber & Kershaw, Both been very good for the price of a every day knife. The partial serated a plus in its great to cut a seat belt, incase you nned to cut someone out of a wreck or items that a normal blade wouldn't cut.
    GOOD LUCK.
    RAILROAD

17. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

CutCo or Benchmade.

Most other NEW blades (buck, etc) are too soft... and yes, will sharpen nicely... and last for about 2 cuts.

Benchmade just came out with some knives made specifically for sportsmen if you want to check them out. They claim lifetime sharpening and "tuning" of the knife, free of charge.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.