1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T FLYS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by break25, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

Ok now that I got your attention.

Durring the summer I work on a 40 foot boat that monitors HARD SHELL CLAMMERS. Although we do not have CLAMS on board, we are pestered with hords of BLACK FLYS that bite. We have scrubbed the boat with PINESOL and soap mixed with bleach (chlorine)and nothing helps. Yes, we also shower and wear clean clothes so it"s not us,

Since we Trapshooters have a myriad of experiences in lots of endevors as anyone can tell by reading our posts, can someone give some advice on how to get rid of them? Maybe by some TRAPSHOOTER/FARMER?

CHAZZ

2. LMac

LMac TS Member

Chazz, get some Avon Skin So Soft bath oil, put on some rags and tie up around the boat. Also put it on yourself and the flys won't bother you.

3. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I hate those friggin black flys... Seems they bite 10 times more than your average mesquito and they're much harder to swat.

I gotta see if the wife has any of that Avon stuff around.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try some Vinegar, just plain white vinegar out of the bottle you will be amazed and you won't smell like it either ... I hate those flying bugs and use it all the time, it takes the sting out of sun burn also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. break25

break25 TS Member

Hey Guys, I will try both, One day Skin so Soft and another White Vinegar.

As far as swatting, at the end of the day, we cover the deck with dead flys. You would think the live ones would see the dead ones and move out?

Will post the results.

CHAZZ

6. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

At most Equestrian Shops , they have a bottle and cap called Big Stinky . Put a piece of fish on the bottom and in a few days the flies will get in there and fly till they drop . Leave in on deck when your done for the day and either leave it at the dock or let it stay aboard while your working . It will attract the flies but it will stink so use your judgement where to leave it . Once the flies die they create their own juices . It also works near dog kennels . I just bought a small plastic model but haven`t started it up yet -- takes a few days for the aroma to start up and attract them . We have the biters at the Trap Club also and thats where this new one will be going .

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Both work for knats as well. Spray either on a vented ball cap.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I started using the double sticky side tape, while fishing in Canada.

I'd wrap some around my ankles, that seemed to be were most of the black flies liked to bite. At the end of a few hours of fishing, there wasn't much space for anymore to land.

I did get chewed up pretty good one year up there when I buried my truck in mud on a logging road. It was hot and I was getting sweaty digging it out. Since then I started using 100% deet on any exposed skin.

Guys at our club that shoot the archery course in the wooded areas have started taking fabric softener sheets with one end tucked into the back of their hats to keep the deer flies away. I haven't tried that yet, but they tell me it works great.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

On exposed skin like Doug said 100% DEET. Spray all your clothes and hat with Permethrin, the strongest you can find. If you can’t find Permethrin locally look for it at a tack shop, it is also sold to keep flies away from horses.

10. skip

skip Member

Flying Teeth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.