1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T flooring advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by stickbird, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I am wanting to install some new flooring and am considering doing it myself useing Engineered Hardwood Flooring you can buy from Lowes or lumber liquidators.
    Has anyone installed any or have it in your home and would like to comment.
    I have watched a couple Videos on youtube and it looks pretty easy to install?

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My wife, Jan, and I installed an engineered floor we purchased from Lowe's in her studio/library which we added to the house. The room is 13 x 24 and a simple rectangle. It took us two nights with me running to the basement to make cuts on my table saw. Jan wanted to lay out the floor so the repeating pattern was not so noticeable and I'll have to admit she did a great job. We used a foam pad about 1/8" thick under the floor and a 1/4 round molding around the edges. No glue or nails whatsoever. The floor is now 6 years old and looks just as nice as the day we put it in. It gets medium traffic and our three dogs paws do not seem to scratch it. Jan has spilled paint and ink on the floor and it cleans up with 409 spray with a paper towel. Overall we have been very pleased with the look and the wear. Hope this helps.

Bob Schultz

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I installed a Pergo wood laminate floor in our kitchen last fall. The foam backing was bonded to the boards, so that made things easier. It's super simple to install if you have basic tool skills. A table saw is helpful. Like Bob stated in his post, it's a floating floor, so no nails or glue. The boards simply interlock together. You then install molding around the perimeter to hold it in place.

Our floor is holding up nicely, with just a damp mop(Swiffer)to keep it clean. We are so pleased with it, we are going to do our laundry room and den as well.

4. DJM

DJM Member

It is easier to install than linoleum or carpeting. At least for us do it yourselfers. If you make a cutting mistake you only ruin one piece which may still be usable somewhere else on the project. I did ruin a very good 80 tooth finishing blade on my miter saw. Consider the blade you are using as sacrificial and as all cut edges can be covered with trim you do not need a fine edge.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We put down an Armstrong laminate floor in the living room 5 years ago, its great, looks good and no signs of wear ... I would not hesitate to do another floor with this material ... The Armstrong floor even looks and feels like real wood ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. acre44

acre44 Member

I second the Pergo. I installed it in my family room with some help from my father. It really looks good and everyone thinks it is a real hardwood floor. The Pergo is better than some of the cheaper brands because it literally "snaps" together. Just be careful when tapping on it so you don't break off the tongue. The only other area to be wary of is the transition to another room. Just remember measure twice cut once. Good luck.

Toad.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Me and my son did our entire house in Pergo. Go to the end of the row, cut to length, take piece that is left and go back to start of next row with it. That will offset your pattern. Also, turn the blade around on the table saw. Smoother, less dust, and lasts longer. Birdtracker

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used my Buddy's saw to keep from getting mine all dull and messed up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

Thanks for all the advice,just what I needed to hear.
    Thanks
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.