1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T...Flood Insurance...O/T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I need to exercise the great wealth of knowledge among our group.

For 49 years I have lived next (1/8 mile,Aprox,) to a creek. Thank GOD we have never been flooded,Water has been inches from my door in the 1980's during a "Flash flood", In the early 70's we had a "Nomatacic" flood when it rained constantly for many days. And almost yearly we have the saturated ground Spring flood or the frozen ground Winter flood,But as I said they usually just floods my field,Or if a little deeper it gets into my yard.

I have an un finished basement (Loading) room with sump pumps,High water alarm ect. And keep everything up on shelves just in case. All easily replaceable or moveable items except my furnace,Water heater,Water sofener and Circuit breaker panel.

The house is paid for so I am under no obligation. But every Spring I think about the new homes that have been built above me ( In my watershed ) and get concerned.

I have an insurance agent that I half way trust,But I am looking for real life exsperiences: Have you ever had this,Filed a claim,Good or bad exsperience ? Please tell me about it. Thank you in advance ! Richard

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Insurance is one of those things that when "it" hits the fan, you'll be glad you have it.

I don't live where flooding is a problem, but I did add earthquake insurance. We do get them from time to time here. I've been through a half dozen here, though only two really rocked things. It's just peace of mind, and I won't have to do a facepalm and say, "Doh! I wish I had bought insurance!"

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Have your agent check and see if you are in a "flood zone" and what the rating is. Flood insurance usually dosen't cover non essential items, essential would be your furnace, in your lower level, basement. Make sure you get a full explanation of coverages so you know what you are payiny for.

Constuction in your area could affect run off and thereby affect possible runoff to your property causing flooding.

It's a government program administered by an Ins. Co., so you can pick a company and claims are handled by them.

Don

4. ouch

ouch Member

Thank you Brian and Don, My agent is preparing a package for me. Richard

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as said its-- insurance-- for if you need it same as health read your policy carefully see if what is and is not covered is worth the money you are putting out
    You said there was new houses above you? remember when they take the ground cover off and you have more water run off. you are going to see higher "creek" leavels. As you see most of the shopping centers are required to put in "retainment ponds" now

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ouch. I live in a flood plain. About 1' of my lower level walkout is in the plain. I have flood insurance and the river is rising. In fact, go to the above link to see what I look at each morning and afternoon. It has a good 12' yet to go to get over the bluff wall and begin to flow into theyard. I have insurance and will dig out the policy today and see what it says. I live on the bluff of the St Croix river which is the centrl are border between MN and WI. My ouse has never had water, and I suspedct it will not this time. But come Sunday we are moving docks to shallower water. I'll get a couple of pics of that today apost them. Too, I will read over my policy and see what is what.

Jack

The dock at low water
    [​IMG]

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

Here in the Florida Keys the insurance is government run and it's not cheap. Although the home is on stilts the mortgage company requires it. In my case it's $4,500.00 a year.

8. Snooky

Snooky Member

I live in south La. and have flood ins. with State Farm. I am not in a flood zone but down here one never knows. The thing about flood insurance is you can pretty much pick the amount of coverage you want. My home appraises for around 200K and I took 80K of coverage. Not being in a flood zone my premiums or under $275 a year.

Hope this helps,
    Snooky

9. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If you look up the 100 year flood hieght and live close to it and with the additional construction You may be due. I always stay 50 ft. above the plain. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.