1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T........Fixed or Mechanical Broadheads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolarkid6657, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

I have decided to put away the rifles for this season and pick up the bow. While I have shot a lot of arrows, I have never taken my bow much past a target in the backyard. I am looking for you gentlemen's thoughts on the pros and cons of fixed or mechanical broadheads and which brands, etc. you guys shoot.....I have been shooting 100 grain tip with a carbon arrow

2. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

I have decided to put away the rifles for this season and pick up the bow. While I have shot a lot of arrows, I have never taken my bow much past a target in the backyard. I am looking for you gentlemen's thoughts on the pros and cons of fixed or mechanical broadheads and which brands, etc. you guys shoot.....I have been shooting 100 grain tip with a carbon arrow

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

You'll get everything under the sun when you ask this question, but since you asked, I like fixed. My favorite is the Striker G5 for deer. It flies just as true as my field points. That to me is huge.

all the best,
    john

4. atashooter

atashooter Member

TNT fortified explosive tips ... Kills, guts,skins, butchers all in 1 move.

5. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I would stay with the fixed.

Ric C.

6. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Fixed!! Crimson Talon fly like field points and cut like crazy!!!!!
    Mike M

7. FIB

FIB Member

I guess I'll the be voice for mechanicals. I have used splitfires (mech), tightpoints(fixed), and now I'm using Rage (mech.). The main thing that I like about mech. is that they fly like my field points....Randy

8. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I guess I'm old school. I still use old fixed Thunderheads. I've never had one fail and they fly very true.
    Sonny

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just like 7.5 VS. 8 shot, It's all about shot placement boys.

Iv'e killed more than most with both, These days I use mech. they fly like field tips and are more user freindly, A guy fly to Canada last year for that once in a life time trip to cut his bow string with his open broadhead on the first day of the hunt, he got to use my spare and could barely draw the bow back after I cranked it down all the way.

10. T/C

T/C TS Member

Been a bow hunter for 25 plus years, always used Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blade fixed, or Thunderbolts, never lost a deer. Groups sometimes were iffie but never over 3", plenty good enough. Never take a shot over 30 yards anyway. 3 years ago swithched to NAP Spitfires, mech. 100 grain 3 blade, cause I had to go to a crossbow due to shoulder and neck injuries. I was hesitant to try them. Have killed 7 deer with Spitfires so far and it cuts one hell of a hole, pass thrus, and they will break bone. Never lost a deer, again never over 30 yards and broadside shots only. I can wait or I won't take the shot. If you can shoot good groups with a fixed, go for it. The mech. Spitfires, so far have never failed and will shoot much tighter in MHO. Try a pack with the practice blades, they WILL open. Hope this helps, T.

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I've used both and both work very well. The mechanicals are easier to tune. They ususlly fly just like a field point of the same weight. Fixed usually requires some tuning particularly if you are moving them pretty fast. Don't use mechanicals unless your bow has enough energy, they should be reserved for compound bows only with enough energy to get penetration. If you are using a compound over 50 pounds with carbon arrows I would think about mechanicals. If you are using heavy or aluminum shafts I would think about fixed.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.